Yet another cycling question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharkMan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have recently listed a similar post but I am after some new information. I am buying a 168 gallon glass aquarium with the full setup. It has a wet/dry filter with two hang on the back overflows, A berlin protein skimmer, heaters, and a stand. I currently have a 45 gallon tank with two clowns and two gold headed sleeper gobies. I asked the local fish store ant they said that if I put the 45 gallons of water from my current tank into the new one with the 40 lbs of sand and 65 lbs of live rock, and the filter pads from my current setup I should be ok. Is this even remotely true? I am kinda in a jam because I don't have enough space to run both at the same time. Thanks.

Water doesn’t matter since it has little bacteria. I would still transfer the water though just to cut down on the amount of SW you have to make.

The lr,ls, & filter media does matter since that houses the majority of the bacteria. Transferring the lr and filter media is pretty easy but moving the sand is going to be messy.

IMO it would be easier to rinse and add new sand to the new tank considering your 40 gal is relatively new and hasn’t built up a huge bacterial base yet. Plus you will have to add more sand anyways to the larger tank since the 40 wouldn’t have enough to even cover the bottom.

With the small bio-load you have in the 40 gal the lr and filter media should be able to handle the bio filtration needed in the new tank. Just give your new tank time to adjust and stabilize before adding any more life.

IME you can add the water as I did on my 125 you can add the LR but the sand will not be worth it. You`ll be better off buying some new sand for your tank.

Back
Top Bottom