Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2004, 08:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yet another cycling question, sorry

when the tank is cycled will you notice detectable nitrate levels?
after one week of live sand i had:

.25 ammonia
0.2 nitrate
2.5 nitrate

one the day i took those readings i added live rock. after the readings were taken

today i have:
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
0 nitrate

total time from adding live sand has been 2 weeks.

should i have some nitrate? where did it go? what used it?

i have also notice a lot of new algae growth and what looks like "seaweed" or kelp.

can i do a 20 percent water change now and clean up some of the garbage from the rock and sand bed?

things seem to doing okay. many feather dusters and a couple clams, brittle stars and snails ( all hitch hikers ) moving around

as always thanks for your input
steve r

Old 10-22-2004, 08:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It sounds like you are cycled. Go ahead and do a water change. You would normally have some nitrate but you had a real easy cycle so the nitrate probably got used up by the macros.

46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 08:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

i would start with a hard fish and keep an eye on your levels, you should be fine!

Jim
Old 10-22-2004, 10:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

cool. sounds good. thanks for the info. i think i might try a couple of hermit crabs and snails this weekend. we are also thinking of a yellow belly blue damsel so maybe we will give a week or two after the crabs and snails

thanks again
steve r
Old 10-22-2004, 11:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Sounds like a good plan. You may want to get the fish now and start the qt period.

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com