Yet another lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmcpeek

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 4 72" vho bulbs. 2 blue and 2 white. How should I arrange them in my hood. should I go blue white blue white? or blues in the center and whites on the outside or vice versa?

Also should one ballast power the blue bulbs and one power the whites? I have 2 icecap 660 ballasts.

Last thing should I have the blue bulbs come on first for 30 minutes and then the white bulbs and have them turn off at different times as well? This is for a 225FOWLR.

Thanks.

I have the same setup on a 180 and here is how I set it up. The bulbs are blue/white/blue/white. One ballast powers the actinics (blue) and the other powers the white bulbs. The actinics come on 30min before the white and stay on 30 min longer. The actinics burn a total of 12.5 hrs and the whites burn a total of 11.5 hrs.

Awesome thanks. I powered the blues up last night by themselves and they almost looked like blacklights. Once I added a white bulb though the blue was gone. Can't wait for my live rock. It should be here monday and I will be ready for it. How long should I have my lights on for live rock while the tank cycles. I don't expect a large cycle as I have shrimp in it and my nitrites and ammonia are on the way down and I am getting the live rock from a friend and hour away and his tank is well established. Might ask for a cup of his sand too. :roll:

If your friend has more intense (or the same) lighting that you do, I'd run all 4 bulbs 12 hrs a day. If he has less lighting, I'd bring my lights up to 12 hrs over a period of about a week to lessen the shock to the life on the rock...let it get acclimated to the brighter lights.

Back
Top Bottom