Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-11-2003, 05:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have mine in the living room it sits on the carpet. I enjoy watching tank and television at the same time, just be careful that you do not have sunlight that would shine on the tank where is placed.

mkpaulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 01:00 AM   #12
Makes a great reading light when the tank is completely lit
I barely use my living room lights now when the tank is lit up.. I too Live in a small Apt right now My living room is approx 15'x15' and I have my 55g on the carpet right next to the TV so If I dont want to watch one I can watch the other.. I can say that at about 600w of light in that small of the living room leaves a VERY bright glow.. Out on my patio you can see the GLow of the tank as well as the tank itself.. Its nice to have people walk by the back of my apt and suddenly stop when they see the tank... If you have something nice Why not show it off

Old 11-12-2003, 01:54 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
mine is in my bedroom. thats right i get to wake up every morning with the sun just coming up on my reef. it's great. plus the sound of water rushing down the overflow reminds me of rain. and i sleep well.
"The brighter you are, the more you have to learn."
-Don Herold
kribbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 02:37 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
All of the things, with the carpet and traffic area's are important but the one thing no-one has mentioned is other source's of light that might affect the tank. eg. across the room from a picture window where the sun come's in or a mirror on the wall that would reflect light on to the tank. These are all considerations in a well placed tank. Hope I've helped. 8)
Listen before you speak and see the good in every situation.
cleantank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 07:51 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
You guys are brutes for putting it on the carpet. I am glad mine is on a concrete floor as I seem to spill water all the time..

Biggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 08:06 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have my sw tank on carpet as well as 1 of my fw tanks, the other fw is on hardwood floor.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 08:32 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I have tanks in just about every room in the house except the bathrooms...Kymme kinda drew the line there . SW and carpet isn't a good mix so it's a good idea to have something to contain the inevitable drips that will happen while doing tank maintenance. In your case, the family room you mentioned sounds like the best place to me.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 02:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, I'm leaning towards the Family room but I'm still not real comfortable putting it on the carpet. Thank everyone for their input. you've been a great help as always. I have one more quick question though, I've noticed in several different posts that a high light area is a cause for concern, I'm guessing because of the likelihood of the sunlight raising the temp ??? Is that right? Our new home has 21 windows! there is little to (and most probably) no area in the house that does not have sunlight cast upon it at some point during the day. I guess my confusion comes mainly from the money I'm looking at spending to get only an "adequate for now" light (4x110VHO retrofit). Why would I not want to supplement with Natural light?

thanks again......

I hope someday to be the person my dog thinks I am!
vermonter310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 03:44 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to tpaparazzo
I must be different too..I couldnt really find a great spot for my 75g so i was making dinner one night and there is this bare wall in my kitchen..I said hmmm. I put it across the wall..It fits perfectly...It is a heavier traffic area. My wife and kids come in the door to the kitchen alot but actually the fish seem to enjoy it.I think they think its dinner time 24/7 and the inverts dont mind either.....And its a nice nitelite(moonlites!) at midnight when your looking for that snack!!!

tpaparazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 05:03 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus
I have two tanks in my living room and both are on carpet. There's no stability issues from the carpet and I don't have any real water issues unless I'm doing a whole lot of work. Even then, I just through a towel down to catch any splash or spillage. I havn't noticed any marks or stains on the rug near my tanks.

Now I said there were no stability issues from the carpet, but I have a very minor stability issue from the floor itself. (which i'm surprised no one here has mentioned yet) Fish tanks add a LOT of weight to your floor. Be sure where you are going to have it will support the total weight of not just the tank and stand but all the water, rocks and equipment you're going to pile onto that thing. (FWIW, water weighs 8.3 pounds per U.S. gallon)

Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« feeding | Safe Sand »