Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2003, 04:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

You want me to put it where????

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking here for quite some time now, reading absolutely everything I can. You don't have any idea how much help you've all been just by asking and answering other peoples questions.
I have been gathering pieces for a Marine tank project all the while. I have just encountered a problem that I wasn't counting on, Where in the house to put it ? The spot I had picked out for it (the Foyer) has been taken over by my wife. I'd like to hear where everyone has there tanks and also the pros and cons of where they might be.
One spot that is available is in our Family room. No TV etc. just a place to sit or read or whatever only has a couple of chairs and a couch in it at the moment. Problem is it is carpeted. anyone have their tank on a carpeted floor ??? The tank is a 75g.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike

Old 11-11-2003, 04:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

We have a 75g in our main family room. It is in the carpeted section of the room. We didn't have a lot of choice in placement of the tank, but tried to place it in an area that had the least amount of foot traffic possible. Most of the foot traffic is on the other side of the room, when we go from the bedroom to the kitchen.

Old 11-11-2003, 04:20 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I think the faimly room you specify will be a better spot for it than a foyer. If your foyer is like I think it might be then there is a hussle of activity in that area with people comming in and out of the house aswell as maybe people walking form one area of the house to another. All this activity can be stressful on some of the more shy fish/inverts.

A quite faimly room would be more ideal. If your worried about the carpet you can get some 1/2" plywood and put down and then put the stand on top of that. Measure the plywood so its the same size as the tank stand footprint. Put the stand and the tank on the carpet and then put a long level on it to make sure its level. If its not then shim the stand on the low points to get it level.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 04:21 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Mine i in my living room, there is little traffic and it is on the carpet. Realice on carpet...the SW will eventually get to it. I try to minimize the damage as much as possible by putting down dropcloths whenever I work around the tank

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 04:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to notmuffy
Well I guess I broke the mold a little, we really put our tanks on display!

The second pic is of our freshwater tank. The door where you come in is just to the right out of the photo. Then when you walk R-L past this kitchen you come into the Living room (first pic) which dead ahead you see our saltwater tank. We have wood floors so that was good for the tank.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm not really concerned about damaging the carpet as much as I am about the stability of the tank.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

i have mine in my living room. After all i got the tank to look at it and i spend a lot of time in the family room. I layed down some thick rubberlike runner material from Home Depot under my tank. It catches water that comes from the tank making it easy to mop it up with a towel.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

i frogot to mention the runner is clear so it really isnt an eyesore
Old 11-11-2003, 05:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to ostrichkiller Send a message via MSN to ostrichkiller
all i have is a 55gal FW tank and i live with my room mate in a very small apt. we put it in the only place we had available. we tried it on top of our entertainment system but the top of the system started to bow. i didn't have the money for a stand or things so i found a nice dresser that we stood on its side and took the drawers out and put in support beams. it works great and doesn't shake at all. plus it made a great place for fish foods, test kits, and books (almost bookshelf like) when we get to the house we are going to rent we are building a stand for it that will look nicer and goign to be in the den

1 30 gal fiddler crab tank... 4 fiddler crabs and sand and plants
ostrichkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 05:15 PM   #10
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
Mine i in my living room, there is little traffic and it is on the carpet.
Same here! I use it to divide the livingroom with a sitting/conversation area. Makes a great reading light when the tank is completely lit... LOL

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« feeding | Safe Sand »