Your favorite tricks to making fish keeping easier.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michealprater

Aquarium Advice Addict
Inspired by this thread....
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=21709&highlight=
I decided to start a thread that listed tricks that you feel really make fish keeping easier. Describe each one in as few words as possible and we will eventually compile the entire list together and make it into a article. Here are mine. Try to keep them simple and to the point.

Feed a varied diet with a garlic additive for ich prevention.

Keep your tank water 82-84 degrees.

A UV sterilizer properly setup can dramatically reduce the risk of ich.

2lbs. of live rock per gallon is the most fool proof filtration you can have.

Filter media traps waste, and essentially filters your tank water with waste.

Alright, now you guys take over with some statements.

Before you buy anything... research, research, research!

A quarantine tank is invaluable and will save you much heartache and money in the long run.

Always use RO or RO/DI water... tap water causes more problems than it is worth.

Planning, Planning, planning. I installed a drain under my tank to make water changes easier. No more lugging 5 gallon buckets out to the sink :D

With a large tank I also like the auto topoff float. Keeps the water level constant.

Always inspect your fish closely before bringing him home. Looking for any signs disease or malnutrition. Ask the lfs to feed him in front of you.

Avoid any lfs thats gives questionable advise. For example: "qt is not necessary", etc.

or pick another hobby like ...stamp collecting :tgv:
Just kidding :taped:
Sorry, couldn't resist

Keep them coming. I hope to make this thread very valuable to beginners. Come on ADVISORS, I know you all have some tips.

Invest in the good stuff...this is a long term hobby. Skimping on the cheap stuff will cost you more in the long run. Think quality!

Join a local reef club! Nothing better than "talking shop" with someone who understands the addiction.

Learn to frag corals...its not hard at all (most of the time). Its a great way to learn the hobby, stock your tank, and you will have something to trade when the local reef club has a frag swap!

Consistancy! Next to patience this is the most important thing a reefer can learn. Water change schedule, water parameters, feeding schedule, coral research before purchasing....keep it consistant.

I have more, but I want everyone to have fun chiming in! :mrgreen:

Me i personally Like to keep my water around NSW values.. My temp is a constant 80.8 and my Salinity is 35ppt.. I keep Ca at 450 and Alk at 9.9dkh or so (still trying to dial in the ca reactor)... Also Liverock from Liverocks.com is very nice and i contribute my success due to the quality of their LR.. I also do at least biweekly water changes at the most... I never have added another other supplements except for Alk and Ca.. Salt mixes should contain everything and as long as you are doing water changes it will keep them in check for the most part. IMO Iodine, Stronium, Trace elements ect are for people that dont want to take the time to do water changes... And most important DONT ADD any chemical that you are not directly testing for.. If it cannot be tested with home kits accuratly then it should not be being added...

James

DONT ADD any chemical that you are not directly testing for.. If it cannot be tested with home kits accuratly then it should not be being added...

Thanks for the input cj10488, but I was hoping the keep all the advice in statement form. Also try to keep it unopinionated. I used this one as a quote because it fit the description of what we are looking for.

Know what you need to buy before you buy it. Don't always trust your LFS to know the answers to everything, they are business people, and some will try to sell you things you don't need.

Respect your livestock. They are living creatures just like us, and should be able to live out and enjoy their lives. Don't buy damsels too cycle your tank so they can live in ammonia soup and be killed just because they are cheap and "expedable", there are plenty of other methods.

Don't buy on impulse. if you don't know anything about a species, put it on hold, go home and research all you can about it, and make your decision later. NEVER trust someone if they say it only eats algea!

Have Fun. If you do your homework and know what you're doing, this hobby can be the most fun and rewarding hobby you can come across :D

$$$$$ Pay your local pet shop $500 a month, they will do every thing, you just sit and watch your fishes swim about???

Have patience... the only things that happen quickly in this hobby are problems.

Back
Top Bottom