Your in a pinch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok you don't have RO on hand for whatever reason but you keep distilled water in the house for emergencies say a few gallons in the closet. You have to top off!!

What do you an how?!

Do you have to add salt and mix and let sit? Or can you simply just top off say a gallon or less?

Just me thinking again.

Thanks.

I used distilled water for my first seven yrs as top off water. Never had any problem. My PWC water always came from the LFS. He used RO/DI water.

melosu58 said:
I used distilled water for my first seven yrs as top off water. Never had any problem. My PWC water always came from the LFS. He used RO/DI water.

Ok good to know. I'm always gonna have a bucket or two handy from my guy but was wondering if having a gallon or a few gallons of distilled water was good to have around.

Thanks for the reply.

Remember to always top off with fresh water (no salt).

The water the avaperates doesn't take the salt with it so the salt stays in the system that way top offs can be freshwater. I top my tank off with ro/di water every day.

CleverBs said:
The water the avaperates doesn't take the salt with it so the salt stays in the system that way top offs can be freshwater. I top my tank off with ro/di water every day.

Makes sense and just read about it in a book a bought.

Yes, like he ^ said! The evaporated water just leaves all the salt, so you should ALWAYS top off with fresh water. If you add more salt water your salinity will sky rocket

How important is that water level gauge on the side. Should it be at maximum or does it really not matter? I've read sites where they say don't even worry about it as far as too much just make sure it doesn't get too low.

Back
Top Bottom