Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2004, 01:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have a thought or two. If your live animals are OK, why don't you ease up for a week or so.
That is, from the 21st to the 27th, you have been changing the conditions of your system what seems like several times a day and looking for results w/in 24 hours.
I don't know how accurate that observation is, but it that is what it looks like.
You will not see overnight results, so just relax and fix one problem at a time. Chances are, you will fix many problems if you target your energy on the most likely.
So, think, what could be causing an increase in algae? Not silica (sand), but phosphates and nitrogen-containing compounds...Nitrates, nitrites and ammonia. These chemicals promote algae and plant growth. How to get rid of them...water changes with SW made with Distilled (or RO) water, addition of live rock and/or a good filter/skimmer. But every time you make huge changes to your system, your system needs time to adjust. Pull out all of the "algae food" and the algae will die, rot, and pollute your system to some extent. Your luck is that ammonia has stayed low up to now. Have a sensitive nose? Keep sniffing! You may be able to smell it.
The main message...I believe all of these guys are on target. But you need to be a little more patient, the bacteria you need tons of don't grow overnight.
But, come to think of it, I did see some bacterial additive of some sort at my LFS. That may help to speed up the process.
I hope this helps.

Fishmahn1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 03:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am not sure, but would turning on all the lights help? Seems to me that would increase the whole bloom on both ends- algae and bacteria, that would accelerate the process as well as keep the LR from too much die off..

50lbs LR
2" cc on 3/4 plenum
3" sugar aragonite in fuge with hair algae
20w white NO in fuge
65w pc 50/50 (2 bulbs)
20w actinit 2 damsels
1 TR clown
shrooms and zoos
h2o quality is solid 0's. 80 d.
sacramentofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 06:16 PM   #13

Your beneficial bacteria are really inside the LR, in your substrate, and in your biofilter (if you have one). I would not worry about the light for them.
The algae is good to remove those things bad for the fish, but can be detrimental as well. I would do 4 to 6 hours max of light daily. Additionally, you really need to get some sort of filter going. Are you running under gravel right now? How about a skimmer? Biofilter?

Again, do only one thing at a time, give it a few days to have a result, then move on if the result is not what you desire.
I have not had problems with extremes in my tank, so I am lucky. But I live in MI, our water (well water) has high iron, calcium, and I think phosphate. But man, do things grow!
When I went to RO water, a lot of my animals were unhappy.
So I am of the opinion that if you have algae growing in a controlled manner, your tank should be pretty healthy!
I have a book you should look in to. It describes a normal reef ecosystem. It may help.
If you get this, reply to me and I will get you the name!
Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I was not paying attention and didn't know you replied until today!
Old 02-02-2004, 06:20 PM   #14

There must be some mistake here. I just looked at your photos and they do not look like what was described to me.
I wonder if I am mistaking you for someone else?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com