Your opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gabecourter1979

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I got my tank filled with live rock my salinity is good and I just added my sand. My question is should I leave everything off until sand settles. Or should I run my skimmer and pumps. My book says to run my skimmer my LFS said to shut everything down, how did u all go about it

i would run something to remove the dust particles in the water column. a HOb filter, a canister...
the skimmer will remove some of it also, but i don't know how comfortable i am about running sand particles through my skimmer pump.

you have to have something circulating water. you want to remove that dust though, somehow, or it will be a problem every time you upset the sand or rock.

I ran my skimmer after putting sand in and what a big mistake!! Had to take the pump completely apart, clean it and start over. Used a HOB to take care of dust, worked great and now I have a clean skimmer again.

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and turned skimmer and everything on. Don't have hob so I had no choice. I'll just wait till everything clears up and looks good and clean everything up.

turn everything off including powerheads the sand will settle in no more than 1 day.

Back
Top Bottom