Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2015, 10:55 PM   #51
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Just keep researching the Apex. They come up on craigslist pretty commonly as people upgrade or get out of the hobby. Could probably find cheaper.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:44 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Awesome! I guess I will check Craigslist religiously. So the tank will be here 8-10 weeks later. This is probably the hardest thing..... Waiting.... I will be getting the Dry Pukani rock this Thursday. So I will play with that and then I'll have to start curing it. thinking about some nice pieces of Tonga rock also!

Old 05-25-2015, 02:45 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

What light should I use for the sump btw?? I can get a couple smaller hydras.. Or can I really get away with a 6000k bulb from Home Depot????
Old 05-25-2015, 02:47 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Also looking into a dslr. The Canon 60d and Nikon d7100 have my attention. Would a cheaper alternative such as the Canon Rebel t5i be good for taking great photos of corals?? Any one have a dslr that they recommend?
Old 05-25-2015, 07:53 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Yes, a simple 5000k home depot light will work fine for algae. I wouldn't spend hundreds on a fixture for the refugium, unless you intend to put corals in there from time to time.
As for the camera, I had a lot of luck with a P&S underwater camera- much cheaper than a dslr and you can also use it when you scuba/snorkel on vacation.
I use a canon d10, which seems to work just fine. They have made some advances with the latest models, but I'm not feeling the need to warrant the upgrade just yet.

Browse my PB folder for examples. Doug Kurceba's (GORILLA_MONSOON) Recent Uploads | Photobucket
Old 05-25-2015, 09:36 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Wow! I have heard that a few people have good luck with the Kessil a150 7500k model in their sump. Maybe a little overkill though. Especially if a cheap clip on light will do the job Thank you for that info!

Thanks for the clarification on the cameras also. I feel like the ones that are 5 years old just have a little less features than the newer ones! So I feel the same way haha. I guess I will look into an older model and maybe be able to get a used one on craigslist
Old 05-25-2015, 09:44 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

So for whatever reason the trigger decided to jump this morning again!! I went to Lowes to look for some egg crate and got acrylic sheets instead. ( I had been looking for those for so long!!!). I spent a few hours with the dremel making a good cut out so the edges of the tank are covered about 4-6 inches all around. He isn't getting out of there again.

So I'm looking into adding a Fairy Wrasse now that I have the cover on the tank. Maybe a Golden Dwarf Moray Eel also. There's a guy on ebay who has them for $100 each. Yu have to pay for the air rate and box. But I think I might go that route. Any Yays or nays on this?
Old 05-25-2015, 09:46 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

I actually might be wanting a frag tank in the refugium. But I will probably just add a 20 gallon rimless tank and make a precut on the stand so I can see the frags from the outside of the tank stand when I enter the house or walk into the office. maybe some seahorses too. Going to depend on flow i guess because of the frags...

Tags
10 gallon, build, gallon, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com