Zack's 310 gallon Reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it is actually going to be a 280 (250 actual gallon) I will have 1 mp60 and 2 mp40. Is this enough? I will also have an mp10 at the top to create surface agitation.

Ok!! So we have an issue! It looks like I will either have to put up some support beams in my crawlspace underneath the office. Either that or my tank plans and my room, will have to be moved into the basement. :(

This is fine too. Just wished it was on the main level where the family could enjoy it. With the basement there is a HUGE Open Floor Plan!!!! So if I go with the basement it will either be in the middle of the room or as a peninsula. But possibly a couple 100 more gallons. Since I always wanted to be a marine biologist, very low paying job, I want to get the biggest tank my budget and my time can afford. I can afford a maximum of a 400 gallon tank. As far as the long run goes. I will be keeping up with this for many years to come(11th year so far, 4th since I started caring for the tank though :D )

If you could have any tank size or any tank shape. What would you choose? What is the best for rockscaping especially? Just kinda curious:)

Many people prefer wide and short tanks for rock-scaping reasons. 400 gallons is a huge tank! There was a 600ish gallon tank in my area being sold for $800 not too long ago. If I had my own home I would have got it in a heartbeat. Don't think my parents would like a 72x72x30 tank in their house though ;)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431772250.917970.jpg

Caleb

Wow ok that looks pretty awesome. Im looking at something that is 6 feet by at max 4 feet wide and only 2 feet-30 inches tall.

a 6x6 wouldn't fit right in the room downstairs. haha But thanks for sharing!! I will try to look for something that is cubeish and not too tall. :)

The largest footprint you can afford is what I would choose, and definitely not a tank deeper than 24-25". 8' x 4' would be awesome. I have a 6' x 3' tank now, and am not feeling like this will be my last tank....I'm going to end up with something I can keep tangs in until they are full grown- a 300 gallon is not enough tank for that.
As for the skimmer, 1.5 to 2 x your total system volume is what I would suggest. That octopus you linked on the first page is not enough.

Ok Thanks for the info!! Then I will go as big as I can afford or as big as the room can fit. I called around and I might be able to get the support put in for the tank to be on the main level of the house, which is the 2nd floor. If it doesn't cost over 1000 then I think I will put it upstairs. It will be viewed so much more often and will be much more enjoyable to the rest of my family also.

If the supports pull through and end up working then I think I will go with the 72x36x24.

If not. I will move my room from the 3rd floor all the way down to the basement, which is the same size as the houses length(Really open and spacious). In that case I will do anything from a 96x48x24 to a 120x48x24.

The Vortech quiet drive mP60 will be arriving before Wednesday and I will purchase another later after I get all the details on the house, **if I end up needing another one**

The largest footprint you can afford is what I would choose, and definitely not a tank deeper than 24-25". 8' x 4' would be awesome. I have a 6' x 3' tank now, and am not feeling like this will be my last tank....I'm going to end up with something I can keep tangs in until they are full grown- a 300 gallon is not enough tank for that.
As for the skimmer, 1.5 to 2 x your total system volume is what I would suggest. That octopus you linked on the first page is not enough.

I'm looking into skimmers a lot lately. Thank you so much for the input!! Once I know what tank size I'm going with I will purchase a skimmer rated for 2 times the gallonage of the tank.:thanks:

What does everyone think about the Reef Octopus 12" Regal 300INT? How about the 10" Regal 250INT? They are nearly the same price.

Some new Toys and Equipment

Ok guys so in the end I did decide to get the regular mp60wes. Not Quiet Drive. But I will get the upgrade kit separately if the noise is to loud once everything is set up.:dance:

The sand came in today as well as a couple more toys. I got the "Julian's Thing" because I love spot feeding my corals and it's something I actually enjoy doing. So this should be a bit easier than the method I was using before. I also got a couple packs of Nori because I had been running low lately.

I will be ordering another mp60, or an mp40. I plan to run 2) mp40's and 1) mp60, Or, 2) mp60's and 1) mp40.

What would be better? I'm going to keep some sps in this tank, Monti's Acro's etc.

Attachments

• KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-05-18-17-07-56_7.jpeg
    KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-05-18-17-07-56_7.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 75
  • KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-05-18-17-07-50_81.jpeg
    KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-05-18-17-07-50_81.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 76
  • KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-05-18-17-07-54_35.jpeg
    KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-05-18-17-07-54_35.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 87
  • KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-05-18-17-07-52_89.jpeg
    KakaoTalk_Photo_2015-05-18-17-07-52_89.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 93
I'm going with the 72x36x30 because I want the extra viewing height of the tank, and my current tank is already 28 inches tall. I know It is hard to get to the bottom of the tank. But for the extra 65 gallon I don't mind. I have survived the deepness of my other tank.:)

The fish don't even swim in the top 1/3 of the tank in my experience. I think 30" will get old, fast. Not to mention you'll need stronger light to penetrate the extra water. I would go wider or longer, but not deeper!

Back
Top Bottom