Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Zoa multiplication and aptasia

Hi everyone. If I buy a zoa colony with approximately 100 heads attached to live rock and place this rock on a bigger piece of live rock will the zoas spread. Also can aptasia just appear on a piece of rock that hasn't been touched for 3 months.

Bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Yes you can put the zoas in and in the right conditions they will grow and spread. As for the aiptasia, it's highly unlikely it would spontaneously grow, it's more likely that it moved to find a better spot. There is the possability that it grew there but it would take some time and if you didn't notice it then it most likely relocated itself to that spot.

kdpuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Some spread quickly and others don't, from what I have seen and read. I got two frags at the same time a few weeks ago. The King Midas colony seems to have done nothing so far, but my Flamin' Punk Rockers have gone from 2 to 6 polyps. Still a very small colony, but at that rate, it will be big soon.
TheTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award
The more expensive the zoa is per polyp the slower it grows has been my experience. A 100 polyp colony though should spread quickly since it probably wasn't a higher end zoa
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com