Zoa multiplication and aptasia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigdon

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone. If I buy a zoa colony with approximately 100 heads attached to live rock and place this rock on a bigger piece of live rock will the zoas spread. Also can aptasia just appear on a piece of rock that hasn't been touched for 3 months.

Yes you can put the zoas in and in the right conditions they will grow and spread. As for the aiptasia, it's highly unlikely it would spontaneously grow, it's more likely that it moved to find a better spot. There is the possability that it grew there but it would take some time and if you didn't notice it then it most likely relocated itself to that spot.

Some spread quickly and others don't, from what I have seen and read. I got two frags at the same time a few weeks ago. The King Midas colony seems to have done nothing so far, but my Flamin' Punk Rockers have gone from 2 to 6 polyps. Still a very small colony, but at that rate, it will be big soon.

The more expensive the zoa is per polyp the slower it grows has been my experience. A 100 polyp colony though should spread quickly since it probably wasn't a higher end zoa

Back
Top Bottom