Zoanthids & Polyps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nothing really if your lighting is adequate.

No, it's not...looking at lighting on Big Al's, just have to wait until next paycheck.

I totally understand that. Once the lighting is out of the way, put the polyps in and voila! Reef. :)

When I do get them, how do I acclimate them and do I QT them? Dumb question, I know :(

I just float the bag to temperature acclimate and then put them on the sand bed (I have strong t5 lighting).

Nothing seems to mind...
Matt

I'll probably ask for help with my lighting when I go to buy it next weekend. I'll only have $200 to spend. For some reason I'm expected to pay bills first :)

I use the drip method, which is usually what the online vendors tell you to do. If you introduce things in to the tank without weening them on to the water in your tank, you could possibly shock them. And shocking leads to stress(alot) and then stress *could* lead to death. In my last tank, whenever i added coral i drip acclimated them for an hour. Never had a loss or problem with any of my coral and i drip acclimated SPS, LPS, polyps, and softies.

ok, so drip acclimating but no need to QT...can't wait. But I have peppermint shimps and hermit crabs, do they do ok with soft corals?

Zoas are pretty tough and will tolerate changes far better than other types of corals. In the wild it is not uncommon for them to be exposed to the air during low tide.

I used a small plastic container to float them in my sump or in my frag tank and slowly add my tank water to them. The drip method IMO can take too long and allow temp and PH swings causing more stress than just getting them in the tank. I always float any new coral in my system to get temps equalized and then put them in the container and add water for maybe 20 minutes and then into the tank they went. I did drip in the beginning but found it to take too long and not as effective. Just my experience and $.02

I appreciate all $.02 :) And believe me...I'm taking notes. I told my son today that my fish hobby is going to be as expensive as my husband's music "hobby" :D I want to learn as much as I can so that I make as few costly mistakes as possibe. Unlike his custom made Jackson that's collecting dust and rust right now lol

Take all points of view you come across and mold them to fit your needs and the needs of your system. Research as much as you can and ask all the questions that you come up with. We are all here to help each other!

Reactions: HN1
Back
Top Bottom