Zoanthids toxic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And what are some toxic fish an corals that I should keep from?

Zoas are good Hardy and I have many

Yes they are toxic. You can google them and get a lot of information about it including stories of those who have gotten sick. Is it common to get sick from them, no. But you should be aware if the dangers to avoid problems.

Only some zoanthids release toxins and that's mostly when you cut them or frag them. Also if you boil live rock and there are zoanthids on them, it can be pretty bad! I read one story where a couple was hospitalized after the husband boiled liverock with zoanthids on them. The effects can be pretty bad in the worst cases. But mostly you will be fine. They say to wear gloves and eye protection when fragging zoas to keep from bring irritated by the toxins. This doesn't mean "stay away" from zoas, just means to be cautious.

Lion fish are also poisonous, as well as cowfish. This doesn't mean to not have them in your tanks, just means to be cautious once again!

That's crazy kinda freaks me out! Is there other corals that are like this?

And what about devils finger coral is that toxic or anything it sounds pretty scary.

Also stonefish are toxic and I don't think there is nothing for the pain ether. You have to endure the worst pain ever for 24 straight while the doctors look at you and say they can do anything.

There are many toxic creatures that can cause harm. Shouldn't be taken too lightly. Foxfaces have venemous spines (so don't pick them up!). They're cowards though. Rarely use their spines unless they feel they must.

Anemones can sting/leave a rash. Elegance can too I believe.

Fireworm have bristles that hurt a lot if you happen to touch one :eek:

Cucumbers, nudibranchs, sea apples, etc can release a toxin when stressed/die

There are some more, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

Don't get intimidated though! You won't die ;) Be safe and respectful of these fragile creatures. Be aware of the risks. Now that's being responsible.

This all seems very scary haha do all corals have toxins within them?

Zoanthids are poisonous so unless you cut them open and drink the water you won't be affected. Anemones and lion fish are venomous. Venom is injected by stinging or biting. Hope this helps.

What are other poisonous/toxic corals that I should it easy with or keep from?

What are other poisonous/toxic corals that I should it easy with or keep from?

You don't have to keep away from them.i kept zoas for sometime now and I have never gotten sick or ill and remember some of the most beautiful corals are the poisonous ones.

Back
Top Bottom