Zoas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He is right I bought my skimmer online and a LFS was selling it for $50 more. But there had got to be a local reef club not to far from you may take some looking but o bet you find one

i really dont know where to look, im from mcallen, tx zip code 78501 if anyone has a search for forums and clubs.

To the op:

I had a colony on a rock that I moved to a high flow area and they hated it so I moved it back to a low flow spot and they came back. But def don't move them often! I'd wait 5 days at least bw each move.

Did you dip them? Def a practice you will want to get in the habit of zoas have lots of places for pests to hitch a ride.

Do you have a fox face? A friend of mine put in a fox face that immediately started eating his zoas.

To bigtex: I've ordered zoas from reefs2go twice and got $1 per polyp dragon eyes and eagle eyes and both had more than I ordered and went on to thrive. I've also ordered mushrooms, snails and shrimp from them without any problems (knock on wood). My lfs usually has some zoa frags for $5 as well. Obviously they're not designers or like aqua sd but they look great to me!

Look in reef central local froums

i got nothing in there, was searching for 15min and nada, im in the southernmost tip of tx about 15mi from the border. so i didnt have any high expectations.

I've ordered zoas from reefs2go twice and got $1 per polyp dragon eyes and eagle eyes and both had more than I ordered and went on to thrive. I've also ordered mushrooms, snails and shrimp from them without any problems (knock on wood). My lfs usually has some zoa frags for $5 as well. Obviously they're not designers or like aqua sd but they look great to me!

im actually about to go check out the frags right now at my lrs and see what the prices are should i wait to get more live rock or could i get coral now and move them?

Now that this thread has officially been hijacked..some of this may also apply to the OP but I hope not if he is spending $500 on coral at a time...

Tex, I just responded to another thread of yours regarding diatoms during your initial cycle. I then checked out your threads and noticed you started the tank on August 10. It would not be a good idea to get any coral 1 month in. Starting coral within 3-6 months is still a crapshoot. It is probably wise to wait a year for a well established system for any coral but I know it's tough to wait.

Unless you are referring to another tank then I would wait but it's your money and your tank so if you must have at it.

I know Zoas are soft corals and can tolerate lower quality water but before you even start I would make sure your PH, SG and temp remain as stable as possible. Any type of big swing in these three can lead to quick death.

Then you want to have your nitrates and phosphates as close to zero as possible. You will also want to start testing and monitoring the CA, KH, and MG in the water to make sure it is adequate. Most salt mixes and nearly all reef salt mixes contain enough of these elements to replenish your tank with regular weekly 10% water changes.

So to answer your question I would get more LR and not the zoas right now. There will be more zoas when you want to add them lol.. I hope that helps a little.

Now that this thread has officially been hijacked..some of this may also apply to the OP but I hope not if he is spending $500 on coral at a time...

Tex, I just responded to another thread of yours regarding diatoms during your initial cycle. I then checked out your threads and noticed you started the tank on August 10. It would not be a good idea to get any coral 1 month in. Starting coral within 3-6 months is still a crapshoot. It is probably wise to wait a year for a well established system for any coral but I know it's tough to wait.

Unless you are referring to another tank then I would wait but it's your money and your tank so if you must have at it.

I know Zoas are soft corals and can tolerate lower quality water but before you even start I would make sure your PH, SG and temp remain as stable as possible. Any type of big swing in these three can lead to quick death.

Then you want to have your nitrates and phosphates as close to zero as possible. You will also want to start testing and monitoring the CA, KH, and MG in the water to make sure it is adequate. Most salt mixes and nearly all reef salt mixes contain enough of these elements to replenish your tank with regular weekly 10% water changes.

So to answer your question I would get more LR and not the zoas right now. There will be more zoas when you want to add them lol.. I hope that helps a little.

your dead-on, its the 37g bow front that im taking about, and i know what your saying and its killing me! im probably the most impatient person i know when it comes to things like this, i know i have to be patient but damm it sucks. i havent done a water change since i started the tank i was advised at least to wait a month to do one i might do one this weekend, but i still dont know. i asked but got no reply as to which kit to use for ca, kh, mg. im probably going to get more lr tomorrow when they get the shipment in. i went today and they were all out of bigger pieces, mostly small pieces were left like for glueing frags onto. i guess ill wait i little longer i think adding a new fish will hold me over well enough lol

API has a reef master kit that has N03, P04, CA & KH but a lot of people say they're inaccurate. I have them and have been satisfied I use red sea for MG and I think I'm going to get the red sea PH, CA & KH and I would like the Hannah checker for phosphates I'm sure I'll eventually cave and get it lol.

You have to stay patient!

Wait a minute. It doesn't matter what you spend on the zoas, if you feel it's a good deal.
Secondly, FYI, they buy those zoa rocks from Indo for about 25 bucks a piece shipped. Those are completely covered , 5" rocks.
Thirdly , DEFINITELY dip zoas. Look at the below pic. I dipped one rock of Indo zoas and here is what I recovered-
img_2628189_0_fc10066880cddc5f6899e89b1fa1bc81.jpg

And lastly, Just do basic water changes for zoas and soft corals. Everything you need is in your salt mix to get them to flourish.

Yep...sundial snail, eunicid worm, and those other crazy looking worms....the only thing I was sure of was the cucumber. They all went in the sump though....Not a killer of anything I "robbed" from the ocean. they all deserve a chance.

Seeing a thread on zoas I bought 5 different frags with about 10-15 polyps each
Placing them on the bottom they seam to fill with sand and seam irritated , all the polyps don't open ,
Should I place them higher or try blowing the sand out frequently ?

Sometimes they take a few days to fully open You could try moving them up onto a rock, ime they like some flow but not a lot.

Sometimes they take a few days to fully open You could try moving them up onto a rock, ime they like some flow but not a lot.

I moved them about 6" up from the bottom last night .
Ill see tonight when I get home if they like it there or not .

When buying zoas as a 10 polyp frag do they multiply and spread fast ?
I would like to find something to spread and cover the majority of my rocks .

Yes Zoas spread fast. You might consider Xenia as well they're fast growers too.

This is good news because that's what I want to happen in my tank, I went to the lrs on my lunch hr yesterday and it seems the more polyps I buy together the cheaper they are? Here's some pics. The first pics price seemed reasonable, 10-15 polyp frags for $15, the second pics is a small colony of maybe 50-75 polyps for $50 and the last pic is a colony of way more than 100 polyps and multi colored too for $100.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130827_074630.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130827_074630.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 63
  • ForumRunner_20130827_074656.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130827_074656.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 61
  • ForumRunner_20130827_074723.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130827_074723.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 48
  • ForumRunner_20130827_074803.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130827_074803.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 48
This is good news because that's what I want to happen in my tank, I went to the lrs on my lunch hr yesterday and it seems the more polyps I buy together the cheaper they are? Here's some pics. The first pics price seemed reasonable, 10-15 polyp frags for $15, the second pics is a small colony of maybe 50-75 polyps for $50 and the last pic is a colony of way more than 100 polyps and multi colored too for $100.[/
Big tex :,
This is a fairly new tank ?

This is good news because that's what I want to happen in my tank, I went to the lrs on my lunch hr yesterday and it seems the more polyps I buy together the cheaper they are? Here's some pics. The first pics price seemed reasonable, 10-15 polyp frags for $15, the second pics is a small colony of maybe 50-75 polyps for $50 and the last pic is a colony of way more than 100 polyps and multi colored too for $100.[/
Big tex :,
This is a fairly new tank ?

just about a month old yes.

That seams to be a lot of new corals for a new tank .
I would hate to hear everything dying cause of it being so soon and immature of a system

Back
Top Bottom