0.3 ppm of Nitrite - Can Fish Be Added?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm at the point of my fishless cycle where the original nitrite spike has passed, gone to zero and I added 1.5ppm of Ammonia yesterday. The ammonia is gone and I am left with .3 ppm of Nitrite and dying to add fish. Now the test kit says that below 0.8 ppm is safe...but I'm torn.

Wait until both Ammonia and Nitrite are zero and Nitrate is rising. I know it's hard waiting but you're almost there. Another week or two is all that should be left. Could even be as soon as tomorrow.

I would have to agree wait. Keep adding the ammonia, IMO you will only have a few days before you are able to add fish. Congratulations on the fishless cycle!

I don't know, I'm going to go against the group on this one and say after a water change you can add fish. You are removing 1.2ppm of ammonia completely in under 24 hours. Unless you plan to stock all of your fish at once, I see no reason why you could not start with the first batch (after a 80-90% PWC). You need to make sure your nitrAtes are safe enough for fish (under 30ppm, ideally since a large PWC is in order below 10ppm).

If you do decide to add fish, PLEASE feed them sparingly the first 2 days (maybe once in the morning a very small amount both days). This will lessen the bioload since the fish won't be creating as much waste as they would normally. 1ppm of ammonia is a lot of waste for a small amount of fish to produce (unless you are getting goldfish).

PrettyFishies said:
I'm at the point of my fishless cycle where the original nitrite spike has passed, gone to zero and I added 1.5ppm of Ammonia yesterday. The ammonia is gone and I am left with .3 ppm of Nitrite and dying to add fish. Now the test kit says that below 0.8 ppm is safe...but I'm torn.

If that's within 24 hours, then I'd wait 2 more days testing period to be sure. Add 1ppm each day if it goes to 0ppm in 24hrs. Just use this as a final test. If all drops to 0ppm in 24hrs, then go ahead and add fish.

Back
Top Bottom