0 Nitrite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klsbetta

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, I've just finished week 1 of cycling my first tank using Seachem Stability. I haven't added any ammonia yet because I can't find any in my area (and yes, I know I can order it online :p). Ammonia has stayed at a steady .25 ppm, I haven't seen any nitrites yet, and nitrate has stayed at 10 ppm, with one spike up to 40 ppm. I added three guppies a few days ago and the only change in water parameters has been one ammonia 'spike' up to .50ppm, then it quickly dropped to .25. Any thoughts as to the progress of the cycle? Is it odd to not have seen any nitrite?

Try the local hardware/farm(such as co-op) store. They usually sell pure grade ammonia that runs about 10% ammonia. Really cheap too. That's what I used to Fishless cycle my 75g

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Hello, I've just finished week 1 of cycling my first tank using Seachem Stability. I haven't added any ammonia yet because I can't find any in my area (and yes, I know I can order it online :p). Ammonia has stayed at a steady .25 ppm, I haven't seen any nitrites yet, and nitrate has stayed at 10 ppm, with one spike up to 40 ppm. I added three guppies a few days ago and the only change in water parameters has been one ammonia 'spike' up to .50ppm, then it quickly dropped to .25. Any thoughts as to the progress of the cycle? Is it odd to not have seen any nitrite?

Since you have guppies in the tank adding liquid ammonia is out of the question.

As to the cycle, seachem stability isn't a particularly useful addition. Most of the time it does nothing. Cycling can also take up to 1 - 2 months so just sit tight. Rock out with a 50% water change any time nitrite or ammonia rises above 0.25ppm and everything will go swimmingly. :fish2:

Oh yes, I wasn't planning on adding ammonia at this point! :) But thanks, I'll look somewhere like that the next time I need it! How far along would you say the cycle is? Is it going good?

I would say it's barely started. The part of a cycle where the nitrite is consumed takes twice as long as the point where the ammonia is consumed.

It just confused me how the tank has had ammonia and a fair amount of nitrate present since day 1, yet I haven't seen nitrite! Is the nitrite-to-nitrate process a relatively fast one, where I could've missed it if I didn't test the water at the right time?

Using products like stability will cause all kinds of weird things to happen with the cycling.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well hopefully weird doesn't mean bad, in this case! D:

It just confused me how the tank has had ammonia and a fair amount of nitrate present since day 1, yet I haven't seen nitrite! Is the nitrite-to-nitrate process a relatively fast one, where I could've missed it if I didn't test the water at the right time?

See below \/

I would say it's barely started. The part of a cycle where the nitrite is consumed takes twice as long as the point where the ammonia is consumed.

There could also be nitrate in your tap water. If your tank is cycling through nitrite already then you are one of the lucky few that actually got an effective bottle of bacteria.

Ding ding ding, my tap water has 10 ppm nitrate! Darn it, I don't know why I never checked for that. :( Oh well, back to the drawing board. Now I wish I didn't have those guppies! Anyway, thanks a bunch for all the help! I'd be lost without this place. :)

Alright, today my water is testing at 0 ppm ammonia, 5+ ppm nitrite, and 40 ppm nitrate!! Time for a water change! :O

Back
Top Bottom