.05ppm Ammonia a concern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RevBlack

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

New at fish keeping. My office has no windows so someone suggested I try a freshwater tank to help with ambience. I'm finding the whole thing enjoyable. I was given a 10 gal High Half Moon. It's cycled been up for a month and a half. Two weeks ago I added fish, and things are going well. I do a 25% water change every 7 days. I realize my tank is at capacity and i'm balancing on the edge when it comes to 10 gal water management. As noted in my profile, I upgraded the filter that came with a tank to give a little bit of wiggle room.

My questions are about a .05ppm Ammonia readings at day 5 in the week.

• How concerning is .005 ppm Ammonia?
  • Should I do an immediate water change on day 5 or watch it till 7?
  • I've been feeding once daily. Is this too often and causing an increase? (Combo flakes/bloodworm)
  • How likely is it that the gain in Ammonia is due to the last 3 new fish I added and my cycle is just catching up to the new bio-load?
  • Fish are acting fine. I'm not planning on adding any more.

Thanks for the words of wisdom!

The gain is almost certainly due to adding fish, but it is miniscule. Stay with your regime, you are doing absolutely fine.

I agree with pip, keep an eye on it though, if it gets any higher than it's worth some thought.

You mention .005, .05. Do you mean .50 reading with a test kit? You wouldn't be able to read .05 or .005

I'm definitely not trying to nitpick you, just trying to clarify the parameters given. I am guessing you meant .50 ppm ammonia from either a strip tester or an API liquid kit.

You mention .005, .05. Do you mean .50 reading with a test kit? You wouldn't be able to read .05 or .005

I'm definitely not trying to nitpick you, just trying to clarify the parameters given. I am guessing you meant .50 ppm ammonia from either a strip tester or an API liquid kit.

Seachem do a product called ammonia alert which measures free ammonia. However, this measures 0.05ppm and will show 'alert'

Good question though threnjen.

Back
Top Bottom