1/2 gallon office bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usbphil

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

Firstly I realise what I am about to lay out is a VERY poor situation and a bad environment for a fish.

However, I have been gifted this item by my kids and am compelled to use it at least for a little while:
USB Desktop Aquarium holds a real fish and your stuff - SlashGear

It will sit in my office, which is air conditioned to a constant temp and exposed to natural light. The 'tank' holds about half a gallon of water.

I know nothing much about fish, so need help!!
What hardy cold water fish would be recommended as having a chance?

I have done a little research and perhaps some of the following:
*White Cloud Mountain minnow
*A small Betta fish
*Guppy

It looks like about 30% of the water should be changed once a week as there is no filter?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Marimo balls!

Remember, it will lose power when you turn off your computer unless you use an externally powered USB hub.

I would say you should skip fish, minnows/guppies are social and you have to consider the adult size, plus the issue of keeping more than one. The betta would preferably have a heater.

I would say just go with a nice planted tank, it will act as a display piece without the necessity of constant water changes and fish die offs due to limited space etc... If you like get a couple shrimp and add them in.

*Edit* Check out some of the 1/2 -1 gallon planted tanks, there are some pretty amazing looking little tanks out there.

Welcome! I wouldn't put any fish in there, the quality of the water could switch in a blink of an eye! Would you be into shrimp? I think that a nice planted tank with some shrimp would look great and add some life! Or snails? Most people underestimate the awesomeness of shrimp and snails! They'd be cool!

Sorry, definitely no fish at all for a container (not a tank) of that size. Does it have a filter? How would it cycle? How would the fish even move around? Please read the link below in my signature: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium. It'll give you some information if you are interested in starting out a proper aquarium (and will explain cycling as well).

It makes me mad that something like this would even be made for fish! :bad-words:(not mad at you, just the people who create these things :nono:)

Hi and welcome.
My LFS has one of these things on the counter and every week I go in there they have a different guppy in there. I'm assuming they are dying and they are just replacing it with another. Very sad.
As said above it is way to small for any fish. One shrimp or a small snail would be all I would put in there. Even then you would have to change water every few days. If your wanting a tank for your desk I'd suggest a 5g filtered, heated tank you could keep a Betta in.

Hi all, many thanks for your kind help.
As stated, the container was a gift from my kids and I want to use it somehow so that they don't get upset.

Could someone provide a link to the type of shrimp or snails that would be suitable. I tried looking but there seem to be so many different kinds!

Also, I like the idea of planting it.

Sorry, definitely no fish at all for a container (not a tank) of that size. Does it have a filter? How would it cycle?

It does have a filter and pump built in, but I'm sceptical how good it would be.

The betta would preferably have a heater.

I live in Sydney, Australia so it's quite warm all year around, and the sun shines on my desk. I have seen Betta fish before in small tanks / bowls and they don't seem to need much space ?

usbphil said:
I have seen Betta fish before in small tanks / bowls and they don't seem to need much space ?

Myth!!!!! Bettas would love to have plenty of room! Do you not see their gorgeous long flowy tails? I say 2.5 MINIMUM but they love 5g tanks and larger!

Hello! I'm in QLD and I know how upset my children would be if I didn't use their gift.

I keep red cherry shrimp in a small tank (though larger than yours) AMD they are such cute interesting little critters. If your lfs doesn't have any ask them to order some in for you. They are bright red in colour and my kids love them.

Welcome. I agree that some shrimp would be great in there. :)
Yes, people do keep bettas in really small containers, but its really in the betta's best interest to be kept that way long term.
But hey, don't under-estimate the coolness of rcs or other similar dwarf shrimp. They are colorful, active little things and are pretty fun to watch IMO. I also suggest looking into a nerite snail. :)

Hello! I'm in QLD and I know how upset my children would be if I didn't use their gift.

I keep red cherry shrimp in a small tank (though larger than yours) AMD they are such cute interesting little critters. If your lfs doesn't have any ask them to order some in for you. They are bright red in colour and my kids love them.

Thanks!
I have been reading a lot of good things about RCS in nano tanks, so I think that will be the route I explore. 1 or 2 depending on what the fish shop recommends.

Any suggestions for a nice plant or 2?

usbphil said:
Thanks!
I have been reading a lot of good things about RCS in nano tanks, so I think that will be the route I explore. 1 or 2 depending on what the fish shop recommends.

Any suggestions for a nice plant or 2?

Java fern and java moss will go well in the low lighting (I'm assuming the tank has).

Back
Top Bottom