1.5 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dyl1234

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just ordered this tank for baby apple snails and mystery snails. I am going to have sand in the bottom. I have never done a sand tank so if anyone knows anything about it please comment.

image-3488100577.jpg

Sand substrates are great and the only word of caution is to not get it too deep as it can lead to dead spots in the sand which can be harmful. I would also make sure your sand that you choose is suitable for aquarium's. All sands sold in your LFS should be fine. Also to clean sand I suggest attaching a wooden dial to the end of my gravel vacuum and gently stirring up the sand a bit while the vacuum is a couple inches above the sand. This will float the debris allowing the debris to be caught by the vacuum and not vacuuming up all of your sand every time you need to clean the tank.

Sand substrates are great and the only word of caution is to not get it too deep as it can lead to dead spots in the sand which can be harmful. I would also make sure your sand that you choose is suitable for aquarium's. All sands sold in your LFS should be fine. Also to clean sand I suggest attaching a wooden dial to the end of my gravel vacuum and gently stirring up the sand a bit while the vacuum is a couple inches above the sand. This will float the debris allowing the debris to be caught by the vacuum and not vacuuming up all of your sand every time you need to clean the tank.

Thanks for all that great info!

image-2901102569.jpg

This is the type I bought. It's already washed in the package. I only bought 2 for a 1.5 gallon tank and they are 1/2 lb each I think

I ordered a 5 lb bag of sand! I also have some mts snails to loosen up the sand. My tank come in today and it was cracked badly!! So now I have to drive an hour away to pets store and get a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom