1 day cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeremyblevins

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i have a 55 gallon aquarium that i got used for free and set it up with gravel a hide and some anacharis and some water wisteria and let it run for a week. On monday i went to pet supermarket and bought 5 pearl gourami. one of the gourami didn't make the transfer so i got another one and they're all doing fine now. But yesterday i tested my aquarium and had .50 ppm ammonia so i did a 50% water change and decided to add tetra safestart, this morning i tested at .50 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite, and 0 ppm nitrate, midday i had .50 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite and didn't do nitrate, and a couple of minutes ago i checked the levels and i have .25 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite, and 0 ppm nitrate.

So my question is does this mean i'm getting close to cycling?

no, unfortunately not quite done yet.
When you start consistently getting 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite then you will be done.
At .25 ammonia, I'd be planning on doing another water change too.

I have used Tetra's safe start in the past with good success. The bottle instructs no water change for seven days but best to keep an eye on the ammonia levels to prevent damage or death of the fish. When I used that product my tank cycled in seven days.

I really don't care what the bottle says. If the ammonia levels are rising, I'd be doing water changes. I have doubts about cycling products anyways.

oh and i just realized i made a mistake i've been getting readings for 5 ppm for nitrates not 0

your cycle is not even close to finishing. i'd say you have at least a couple more weeks. you will still see a nitrite spike, then ammonia will drop, then nitrite will star to drop as well. your cycle is finished when ammonia and nitrite are 0 and you have a nitrate reading.

since you are cycling with fish, you should do a water change whenever you see ammonia or nitrite go above .25ppm. expect to do daily water changes!

i personally wouldn't even bother with a cycling product like safestart, with daily water changes and a good water conditioner like Prime, you don't need it.

Have you checked your tap water for nitrates prior to putting it in the tank? Many places have water with some nitrates in it straight from the tap. As long as you're seeing any ammonia or nitrite, your tank isn't fully cycled.

yeah i just did a check on tap water and everything was 0. but the nitrate didn't start showing up in my aquarium either till yesterday

I have doubts about cycling products anyways.

Safe start is the same formula as Biospira was. The product does work as described I've used it twice with both tanks fully cycled in week. Always best to use media or filter from an established tank but don't rule out the effectiveness of the product.

okay so now i'm kinda confused, so far the tank is sitting still, i have .50 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite, and 5 ppm nitrate. i have been over feeding so i've cut back on how much i feed. any ideas why it's just sitting there. Shouldn't something be changing?

Well you have nitrates now, which is good. After one day, that's actually really good... You just need to wait until your ammonia drops to zero, and you'll be cycled.

You should also check your tap water for nitrates.

I'd say you have around a week left, but I've never use a cycle booster before, but it appears it is working.

Give it a few days, and if it still is the same then you have something to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom