1 goldfish in 29gallon not enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christina717

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I moved my 1goldfish from his 10gallon to a new 29gallon fish tank. Everything is fine but I dont think hes producing enough ammonia to keep my bacteria alive. Hes been in there for 3 days now and ammonia is 0 but also my NitrAtes are 0 as well which is odd because there usually 10ppm.

I have my old filter aquaclear 20gallon and my new aquaclear 70gallon both running so my 20 can seed my 70. My Ph has also droped from 7.6 to 7.4.

It just worrys me that maybe my tank isnt cycled anymore since the move,my fish is doing fine, hes healthy,eats swims a lot(must like the extra room). I am planning on getting another fish in a week but I wanna make sure everything is a go before I do?

Anybody else have this problem when upgrading?

Your tank is now 3x bigger, so will take 3x as long to build up nitrate (you are looking at weeks ...) As long as you move your old filter (and ammonia & nitrites are zero), you won't have to worry about an uncycled tank. <Keep an eye on levels just in case, but I bet you will get at most a mini-cycle .... with only trace ammonia/nitrites.>

Also, you are feeding very sparingly (per your other thread), so the nitrates will come up even slower ....

pH of 7.4 vs 7.6 is within testing error, don't stress over it unless the pH continues to drop.

I tested my Ph today and it was at 6.2 so I added a bag of crushed coral since my tap water is around 7.4. My goldfish has a new buddy though, a calico telescope goldfish Mohawk since he has black stripes on his top fins, hes doing well but I think the current is to strong for him, he seems to struggle when he swims. I turned the bubble wand down but my filter puts out a lot of current

Test the nitrate again, it is almost impossible to get it down to 0, most tap is higher than that.

You don't have to cycle this one, it was cycled instantly when you moved the filter over to the new tank along with the goldfish.

I would just keep an eye on your water parameters for the next couple of weeks and do water changes if you see any spikes in amm/nitrites or if you see big drops in ph. Make sure you know what your readings are out of your tap for amm/nitrites/nitrates/ph because it will give a baseline for your tank. Congrats on the new fish!

Back
Top Bottom