10 gal amonia issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mustangman11224

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I did my 50% daily water change today and tested the water for ammonia after the water change and its between .50 and 1ppm it usually is .25 after that why is it rising soo fast? I'm doing another water change now, but should I be doing something different?
Thanks for the help
Dan

How long has your tank been set up? What stock do you have in it? Have added any new fish recently? Have you tested your tap water? Looks like you're currently cycling the tank as previously stated.

I have 5 guppies and 4 tetra. It's been set up for over a month... My catfish was found randomly dead this morning :( guess because of this ammonia... The nitrites were high.. The nitrates were a little high and the ammonia was high... So idk what is going on... And why it won't cycle.

I have 5 guppies and 4 tetra. It's been set up for over a month... My catfish was found randomly dead this morning :( guess because of this ammonia... The nitrites were high.. The nitrates were a little high and the ammonia was high... So idk what is going on... And why it won't cycle.

It can take 8 wks (sometimes longer) to fish in cycle a tank. Also, if I'm not mistaken, catfish typically have a big bio load & depending on the type a 10g may not have been the right size for it. Most people when doing a fish in cycle use fewer fish. I believe tetras need a bigger tank because they are so active but someone else will need to comment on that. All you can do now is test daily with a liquid test kit & do a water change when ammonia or nitrites are >.25. You might also want to test your tap water.

What kind of catfish did you have and specifically what kind of tetra as there are many tetras out there. And how high is high nitrates? anything over 20ppm (some say 40) nitrates is high and toxic to fish. I think your main problem is you are over stocked. I started out with a 10g as well and I only had 2 platies in it and it took my tank 2 months to fully cycle; that was changing water usually everyday, sometimes daily to keep ammonia levels in check. When having a small tank like this toxins (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate) rise much quicker than with a larger tank.

It can take 8 wks (sometimes longer) to fish in cycle a tank. Also, if I'm not mistaken, catfish typically have a big bio load & depending on the type a 10g may not have been the right size for it. Most people when doing a fish in cycle use fewer fish. I believe tetras need a bigger tank because they are so active but someone else will need to comment on that. All you can do now is test daily with a liquid test kit & do a water change when ammonia or nitrites are >.25. You might also want to test your tap water.

Your absolutely correct about tetras and catfish being Suitable for a 10g. The only tetra (some even still debate on it) that is somewhat suitable for a 10g are neons, but many say they need atleast a 20 because of how active they are and their need for room to swim. The only catfish I know of that's suitable for a 10 (and again I believe it's still debated on) is Pygmy Cory's. anything else needs a larger tank.

My 36 gal fishless cycle tank is still not cycled they will b out of that tank very soon hpfully... The tetras are neon tetras and the catfish was a pelco... He is the reason I got the 36 gal and in a year I'll get a 55-60 gal tank.... That 10 gel was my first set up before I knew about cycling... Then I read some articles about the fish I had and noticed they would need a bigger tank so I got a new 36 gal through a friend... My ten gal will only be used for guppy fry.... In my 36 gal I have tons of drift wood for the catfish. petco told me he might have been sick because they had 8 pelco die since I bought him.. They said I could pick him up after my 36 gal was cycled... Thanks for all the replies btw

Attachments

• image-1011655275.jpg
    image-1011655275.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 42
  • image-4075767240.jpg
    image-4075767240.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 47
My 36 gal fishless cycle tank is still not cycled they will b out of that tank very soon hpfully... The tetras are neon tetras and the catfish was a pelco... He is the reason I got the 36 gal and in a year I'll get a 55-60 gal tank.... That 10 gel was my first set up before I knew about cycling... Then I read some articles about the fish I had and noticed they would need a bigger tank so I got a new 36 gal through a friend... My ten gal will only be used for guppy fry.... In my 36 gal I have tons of drift wood for the catfish. petco told me he might have been sick because they had 8 pelco die since I bought him.. They said I could pick him up after my 36 gal was cycled... Thanks for all the replies btw
I hate to break it to you, but if you have a common pleco even a 55-60g tank won't be enough. It's never a good idea to buy a fish and say I will get a bigger tank once it outgrows your current tank. It may look like its ok but if you put a fish in a tank that isn't large enough for its ADULT size you are stunting the fishes growth. Think of it this way... It's like putting a person who is told they will grow to be 6ft tall in a container the size of a twin bed and telling them that is what they will live in until the day they die. Will the stop growing? Of course they won't. It's really an awful thing to do to a fish, stunting its growth doesn't allow it to grow physically (like length wise) but its insides will keep growing whether the fish increases in size or not. Common pleco's need huge tanks; like 100's of gallons. If you have a common re home it, and it your set on a pleco, get a bristlenose as they only grow to be 4-5 inches, 5 being the max.

Unfortunately many of us started out the same way & learned after the fact. Glad you have plans for upgrading. You'll definitely want to do lots of research to make sure your new tank will accommodate the ADULT fish you are interested in.

Thanks for all the help I have gained some valuable information here from everyone. As for the catfish I'm going to ask them if there is anyway they can get me a bristle nose pelco... All they seem to carry is common. I'm sure it shouldn't be a problem... Thanks again for all this help

Thanks for all the help I have gained some valuable information here from everyone. As for the catfish I'm going to ask them if there is anyway they can get me a bristle nose pelco... All they seem to carry is common. I'm sure it shouldn't be a problem... Thanks again for all this help

Your welcome! I'm glad your taking the info we give you to heart and are using it! Good luck and keep us updated with how things go!

Back
Top Bottom