10 GAL and 29 GAL fish-in Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almcloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
Please review my water parameters and let me know what you think (using API kit).

10 GAL - 8 weeks tank (2 Corries)
PH. 7.5 (LA tap water w/Prime)
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 10.0

29 GAL - 4 weeks tank (1 Black Molly, 1 Neon Swordtail & 1 Ram)
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrite 0.5
Nitrate 5.0

OasisKeeper said:
I'm kinda shocked that you get such a low pH from the tap in LA. I though it was a mix of Colorado and Feather river water..

Thanks for the feedback.
Fixed it :) .... 7.5

Have you gotten any detectable nitrites yet in smaller tank? I would be doing pwcs on both, esp the larger tank. Did you get any ammonia spikes in the 2nd tank? Also, is there any ammonia/nitrites/nitrates in your tap water? Its bit hard to tell whats going on without knowing what has happened over the last 4 or 8 wks and without a baseline for your tap water.

jlk said:
Have you gotten any detectable nitrites yet in smaller tank? I would be doing pwcs on both, esp the larger tank. Did you get any ammonia spikes in the 2nd tank? Also, is there any ammonia/nitrites/nitrates in your tap water? Its bit hard to tell whats going on without knowing what has happened over the last 4 or 8 wks and without a baseline for your tap water.

Tap water has no Ammonia, Nitrites or Nitrates.

10 gal had Nitrites about 2 weeks ago but then they disappeared when Nitrates started to climb. Ammonia doesn't climb past 0.25. This tank can't get read of Ammonia even if Nitrites were present then Nitrates took over. I'm confused. Even did 100% wc 10 days ago.

29 gal had ammonia a week ago but then it disappeared when nitrites and nitrates appeared. This tank seems to follow the right pattern.

Ok, thanks! It sounds like your 2nd tank is right on track with 0 amm & some nitrites & nitrates-not quite there yet though. The nitrite phase is typically 2x as long as the amm phase so you still have quite a few pwcs in you future! The 10gal sounds like its doing well except im not quite sure why you still have ammonia esp after getting a nitrite spike & fall. Im not familiar with your breeds of fish (im goldfish lover), so is it possible your 10gal is overstocked? That & your tap water as source (which its not) are the only things i can think of right now! Hopefully someone else has some ideas!

jlk said:
Ok, thanks! It sounds like your 2nd tank is right on track with 0 amm & some nitrites & nitrates-not quite there yet though. The nitrite phase is typically 2x as long as the amm phase so you still have quite a few pwcs in you future! The 10gal sounds like its doing well except im not quite sure why you still have ammonia esp after getting a nitrite spike & fall. Im not familiar with your breeds of fish (im goldfish lover), so is it possible your 10gal is overstocked? That & your tap water as source (which its not) are the only things i can think of right now! Hopefully someone else has some ideas!

Thank you!

I agree, I'm a bit confused as to why ammonia is still showing up in the 10 gal after 8 weeks. What kind of Corys are in there?

The larger tank is starting the nitrite phase as Jlk said; be careful b/c nitrites tend to spike quickly and they are as toxic as ammonia to fish so keep on top of water changes; don't be afraid to do more than one per day or even more than one back-to-back to get them below .25. (at .5 now I'd do a 70% water change to get them under .25). Good luck!

librarygirl said:
I agree, I'm a bit confused as to why ammonia is still showing up in the 10 gal after 8 weeks. What kind of Corys are in there?

The larger tank is starting the nitrite phase as Jlk said; be careful b/c nitrites tend to spike quickly and they are as toxic as ammonia to fish so keep on top of water changes; don't be afraid to do more than one per day or even more than one back-to-back to get them below .25. (at .5 now I'd do a 70% water change to get them under .25). Good luck!

Have one panda and one green. Both about 1.5 inch big
Will do wc on 29 gal tonight

Today's water parameters:

10 GAL - 8 weeks tank (1 Panda Cory and 1 small Green Cory)
(did 60% wc yesterday) will do another one today
Ammonia 0.15 - was 0.25 (it only had a bit of green tint with API but definitely not 0.25 ... I only observed the green tint by comparing w/29 gal test)
Nitrite 0.0 - was 0.0
Nitrate 5.0 - was 10.0

29 GAL - 4 weeks tank (1 Black Molly, 1 Neon Swordtail & 1 Ram)
(did 60% wc yesterday)
Ammonia 0.0 - was 0.0
Nitrite 0.0 - was 5.0
Nitrate 4.0 - was 5.0

Any suggestions?
Also, what do you folks think of Aquapure Denitrifier?

Back
Top Bottom