10 gal got to toxic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mustangman11224

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I split up my fish... I did a water change to get most of the ammonia out of my 36 gal and took all my guppies out of the ten gal... My ammonia and nitrates were going way to high in the ten gal... Today it was at danger. I did a water change and I left my 4 little neon tetras in the ten gal so it shouldn't be over stocked now correct? Did I do the right thing? I really didn't want to put anything in my 36 gal till it cycled but I didn't want to kill the fish... Any suggestions?

I think you did the right thing, it doesn't sound like the 10 gallon could handle all those fish. There's nothing wrong with a fish in cycle as long as you monitor the parameters and keep up with water changes.

No, put them in the 36 gallon if the 10 gallon is off the charts. How often do you do water changes? You should probably do more. 75% at least for now.
Once the levels go back to normal, switch them back in the 10.
If the 10 gallon is back to normal you can keep them there. But you rather stunt a cycle then lose fish.

Ok thanks... And I have been doing water changes everyday, so I just figured it was over stocked... I did another water change this morning of about 60% and it went down but after about an hour with only the tetra in there it went up a little... I vacume the gravel every day so idk why it's rising like this... Maybe I'll since my filter media? Would that be ok to do?

I think you did the right thing, it doesn't sound like the 10 gallon could handle all those fish. There's nothing wrong with a fish in cycle as long as you monitor the parameters and keep up with water changes.
He said he put them in the 10 gallon, not the 36 gallon...

Ok thanks... And I have been doing water changes everyday, so I just figured it was over stocked... I did another water change this morning of about 60% and it went down but after about an hour with only the tetra in there it went up a little... I vacume the gravel every day so idk why it's rising like this... Maybe I'll since my filter media? Would that be ok to do?
How many fish do you currently have in the 10 gallon. What type?
What filter media are you using, if it's carbon, how long has it been in there.
What filter are you using? Is the 10 gallon fully cycled?

Maybe I said it confusingly. I took half my fish out of the ten gal and put them in the 36. Before they were all in the ten gal, 5 guppies, 4 neon tetra. This is the first time my 36 gal has had fish in it, I was trying to fishless cycle it so I could put all of them in it, but the ten gal was getting too toxic. My ten gal has a medium bio bag, and I was doing daily water changes to it because it wasn't cycled... After about a month of doing this, now the levels are building up faster then I can change the water. So I took the 5 guppies out because I am thinking it was over stocked. I'm hoping with them split up I can fish in cycle both the tanks. Should I take the neon tetra out of the ten gal also or will they b ok in that tank... I did a water change so I'm hoping the levels stay down. I conditions my 36 gal before putting the guppies in, did easy balance, stress coat, and aqua safe...

Maybe I said it confusingly. I took half my fish out of the ten gal and put them in the 36. Before they were all in the ten gal, 5 guppies, 4 neon tetra. This is the first time my 36 gal has had fish in it, I was trying to fishless cycle it so I could put all of them in it, but the ten gal was getting too toxic. My ten gal has a medium bio bag, and I was doing daily water changes to it because it wasn't cycled... After about a month of doing this, now the levels are building up faster then I can change the water. So I took the 5 guppies out because I am thinking it was over stocked. I'm hoping with them split up I can fish in cycle both the tanks. Should I take the neon tetra out of the ten gal also or will they b ok in that tank... I did a water change so I'm hoping the levels stay down. I conditions my 36 gal before putting the guppies in, did easy balance, stress coat, and aqua safe...
Remove all fish from the 10 gallons until the toxin levels go to 0 or near that, and try doing a fish in cycle for you're 10 gallon if that's not already done or finished. Keep the fish in the 36 gallon for now.

Back
Top Bottom