10 gal stocking tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiny tank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my 10 gal for over a year but I over stocked it and supposedly my fish were too large for the tank. Nature took over and she killed 5 of my fish as well. I've checked my chemical levels and all seems good.

I would like to re start the right way this time. I have three zebra danios, a blood fin, a dragon fish and a little orange guppy fish. I know the dragonfish doesn't belong in a tank that small but I didn't know and he seems fine.

So what fish would go well in my tank?

The zebra school IMO need a 20G long because they are active wont hurt them if you don't . You could have some platys and guppys in the tank not too many though.

Eh i think your ok with the danios, the real problem is the goby, but you already know that.

I was going to ask about platys. I used to have two and I love those guys. I know the dragonfish is my right for the tank but I think I'll keep him he's awesome.

What are your opinions on Corys in my tank? I was asking around in anothe forum about good fish that eat up alot of missed food and someone told me to check out Corys.

Tiny tank said:
I was going to ask about platys. I used to have two and I love those guys. I know the dragonfish is my right for the tank but I think I'll keep him he's awesome.

What are your opinions on Corys in my tank? I was asking around in anothe forum about good fish that eat up alot of missed food and someone told me to check out Corys.

I would agree on the Corys that or snails or shrimp. No plecos because too small tank. Could have red cherry shrimp , some sort of snail or Cory. I don't know anything about the dragon fish though only though it is a fish .

I don't think you'll get much stocking advice since you are already set on something that doesn't work in that size tank long term. Any fish can seem o.k. in a tank for a while, but when you get stocking advice it is considering the long term welfare of the fish. That kinda throws everything else off-kilter so suggesting anything else to go with it is kind of a moot point.

Fishie said:
I would agree on the Corys that or snails or shrimp. No plecos because too small tank. Could have red cherry shrimp , some sort of snail or Cory. I don't know anything about the dragon fish though only though it is a fish .

I'm afraid that my dragonfish would eat the shrimp. Simply because his mouth is huge and could probably fit a shrimp in there. Ill probably get some corys.

jetajockey said:
I don't think you'll get much stocking advice since you are already set on something that doesn't work in that size tank long term. Any fish can seem o.k. in a tank for a while, but when you get stocking advice it is considering the long term welfare of the fish. That kinda throws everything else off-kilter so suggesting anything else to go with it is kind of a moot point.

I agree!
You already know fish needs a bigger tank so why no work on that instead of trying to stock more fish into an already over stocked tank.

It's not overstocked anymore. I only have one fish that I know is not appropriate for the tank size. I would love to have a tank that his the right size for him but I cant. We can still look past that one fish and suggest fish that are actually appropriate for a 10 gallon tank.

Dragon gobys get to between 10 and 24 inches and have to be in brackish water if you want to keep it healthy over the long term.

If you want to keep just a ten gallon, rehome him--ten gallons should be ok for some platys or a few more guppys, but not the danios--they're too active.

If you want to keep the dragon, bare minimum you need a 4 ft tank with sand and look up how he eats--they are not predators in the least, they're more like filter feeders in that they scoop up sand from the substrate and eat plankton and daphnia and other tiny critters and spit out the sand. If you set up, say, a 55 gallon plus brackish water tank, there are a number of options you have to stock with that are neat.

Back
Top Bottom