10 gal tank with bettas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

L0V3FRU1T

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I used to have a 20 gal tank but I put it in the living room so my family could enjoy it. Now I have a ten gal for my room. I want bettas really bad. I was thinking of getting dividers and getting maybe two males and splitting them up. I know I can get females as a sorority but males look a lot better and they're really feisty (which I like). Would having two with a divider to separate them be a good idea or should I get a handful of smaller fish? Any advise is helpful!!!

A 10gal divided would be great for 2 males. It'd also be cool with some other fish. so that's totally your opinion! I think the rule of thumb is something like a gal per inch of adult. ❤ what kind of fish do you like? Other than betta obviously lol

Inch per gallon rule is a myth, as long as you divide it should be fine, though make sure they don't have soghtlone to each other. Personally I would have a separate filter and heater on each of the divider in order to maintain proper water stability on each side. I would only do snails as tank mates though, Bettas like to eat shrim

I'd start with the two betas, then if they aren't too aggressive, you could add more tropical fish.

A 10gal divided would be great for 2 males. It'd also be cool with some other fish. so that's totally your opinion! I think the rule of thumb is something like a gal per inch of adult. [emoji173] what kind of fish do you like? Other than betta obviously lol

I like bigger fish but since I have a smaller tank now I can't really get this kinds. I have mollies in the bigger tank and I adore them. They're really nice looking and pretty hardy. I think I would have 2 bettas (with a divider) and maybe get a mollie or two?

I wouldn't say it's a myth. More of a good rule of thumb for starting a new tank. Until its cycled and what not you don't need too many fish.

Also, IMHO a 10gal is too small for a community tank with a betta. Anything smaller than a 20gal I haven't had much success with community betta tanks, but honestly it depends on the individual bettas aggression.

Inch per gallon rule is a myth, as long as you divide it should be fine, though make sure they don't have soghtlone to each other. Personally I would have a separate filter and heater on each of the divider in order to maintain proper water stability on each side. I would only do snails as tank mates though, Bettas like to eat shrim

I might not get two filters and heaters (due to lack ofmoney) so I'll see how they do without them but if they aren't doing well I'll most likely get the other filter and heater. Hopefully they'll do well. Thank for the advise!!

Filters on amazon are cheap prices, but great quality! The heaters are also good quality.

I'd start with the two betas, then if they aren't too aggressive, you could add more tropical fish.
No, more fish in a divided 10g with two bettas would not work, just from space alone.

And mollies need a bigger tank than 10g anyways.

No, more fish in a divided 10g with two bettas would not work, just from space alone.

And mollies need a bigger tank than 10g anyways.

Thank you for the advice! Now I'll most definitely just get the two bettas with a divider.

Back
Top Bottom