10 Gallon Betta Tank Restart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julixttx

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an old 10 gallon tank and I decided after using it for a lizard to turn it into a betta tank. I originally was going to make an endler tank, but I decided against that because I'm eager to start this tank. I'll be able to get large healthy bettas from my local pet smart and so I'm planning on getting a blue coloured betta, against a black background and a black gravel ground with blue mixed through. I was going to also put in live and fake plants, driftwood, and some types of rocks. But since I'm new to a betta tank this big, I was wondering if there was any advice anyone could give me for this? Or supplies I might need?

My main idea though was to see if there are anything I can put with the betta, preferably fish.

Slightly newbish.

5 Gallon Betta Tank

Bettas normally don't do well with other fish, but I've heard they get along fine with cories. Just be careful with Petsmart...they are not generally known for taking good care of their fish. But maybe your Petsmart is better.

I will be sure they go well. And corys are the catfish right? I could put 2 in the tank with the betta maybe?

Slightly newbish.

5 Gallon Betta Tank

And the only difference between a tiny tank and a slightly less tiny 10 gallon tank is you can fit more stuff into a 10 and you will need more filtration (and the betta will be much happier ?).

What filtration should I use? And would a betta and 4 Cories fit into the tank?

Here's the tank in the beginning stages!!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424901647.439083.jpg

The tank in the back is going to be the hospital tank. I'm going to replace the lights with LEDs. do bettas need a heater?

Slightly newbish.

5 Gallon Betta Tank

If it has strong lighting and is in a warm room, it's not absolutely necessary, but definitely recommended.

Alright, I'll be sure to get one. Though I might not be able to get it until 1-2 weeks after getting the betta.

Slightly newbish.

5 Gallon Betta Tank

Use aqadvisor to find out stocking possibilities, then use google or this forum to figure out compatibility.

Alright. Do bettas need a current? Or will the basic filter be good?

Slightly newbish.

5 Gallon Betta Tank

Bettas are naturally found in still water such as ponds and rice paddies, and they have those long flowing fins, so too much of a current is difficult for them to swim in.

So just the filter would be fine?

What filter should I use?

Slightly newbish.

5 Gallon Betta Tank

You can just buy a filter that is functional and fits your budget, and that will be fine. You don't have to worry so much, the whole point of aquariums is to be relaxing!

I know xD I just don't know what type of filter lol.

Would one of those rod heaters work?

Slightly newbish.

5 Gallon Betta Tank

So I got my betta and some basic stuff for him/her. I'm gunna name it midnight or moonlight idk yet. My tanks been sitting for a while so I'm going to add my betta late tomorrow and tomorrow we're getting stones for the bottom of the tank for now. I won't be able to get gravel and the decor and plants I wanted until my birthday, so in about 4 months (July) I'll have my tank fully put together the way I want it to be, yay!

Just a question, can I put fully washed (over 7 times) shells from the Atlantic coast into the tank?

Here are some pics of the new lighting and the stuff I have.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424910430.696828.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424910467.168378.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424910484.097718.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424910501.213125.jpg

And finally here's my betta
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424910532.513086.jpg
He likes the food already too lol.

...this is the tank the lizard was in... would be better to get a new tank, reptiles feces and urine will soak into the silicone and leach sometimes, can be extremely toxic.

if you want i would do a betta and a couple of guppys, heavy planted..

The lizard wasn't in here too long, no longer than a few days in a transition of houses. I also soaked the tank for 2 days so it should be alright.

Aren't guppys looking like bettas though? And just a question- would heavily washed shells 7+ times in boiling water be okay to put into the tank? They are from the Atlantic coast.

I'm a newb to the plants so I was only planning on getting a few Java ferns, maybe Java moss, and anubias. I just can't start the planting right now because of money issues, but I'll be able to get them in about 3-4 months, possibly sooner depending on how much I'm getting paid when I start doing the paper.

bettas arent all aggressive, they have individual temperments so it depends on the betta.

OH btw, your going to need to have a filter and heater. Is your tank even cycled?

Not yet I'm getting the heater within the next few weeks as money is tight but my room is the warmest in the house and the lights I have heat well (I've had them maintain an 82* average over the course of a -30 Celsius winter many times when my mom ran the tank)

I'll be getting a filter then too. I've had bettas live for 1+ years without a heater and a filter. As long as I did regular water changes they were fine.

I wasn't the one that bought the betta, and the betta is in a small tank that the store gave us in, and we did ask the lfs if it was okay to leave the fish in there until tomorrow night and they said yes as long as I feed it tonight and tomorrow morning which I have.

As for the plants and more live decor and stuff- that will be coming within the next few months as we are tight on money right now.

By July I will defiantly have a filter and a heater and then I will add in the platties (3/4) as well as some snails. I will be able to get most of the supplies needed by the end of April.

Back
Top Bottom