10 gallon cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blizzard

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got my ten gallon set up and am ready to begin work. My question is, does a tank this small need to be cycled, and if so, what kind of cycle should I use and for how long. I am completely new to this so bare with me if I ask some stupid questions.

Thanks,
Blizzard.

Yes it needs cycled. You can do a fishless cylce. Here is an article about it. Ignore the saltwater part, works for fresh as well. You can use pure ammonia or fish food in place of the dead shrmp if you wish.

Fishless cycling

Thanks for the advice, ill start the cycle immediatly. What kind of water levels should I be looking for to tell me the tank is ready?

-Blizzard.

Ammonia goes up and back to zero, followed by nitrite going up and back to zero, followed by readings of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and some amount of nitrates.

Good luck.

Rich is correct as usual. I just wanted to add that a "fishless" cycle is the way to go IMO. It can be faster due to the fact that you are not changing the water to protect the fish from toxic levels of amonia and nitrite, and no fish suffer.

Also, if you can get your hands on some Bio-Spira from your local fish store or some filter media from an extablished tank, you can greatly reduce the time it takes to cycle a tank.

Back
Top Bottom