10 gallon glass cat tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimzebras

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an old 10 gallon laying around with an oversized filter (20 gal) and a hood w/ light. I'm wondering:
Could I set it up and keep two butterfly plecos and five glass cats? Nothing else just them.....
Thanks bunch!

Wait....perhaps it's not actually called a butterfly Pleco, I just looked it up and it isn't what I meant, uh oh

Well it looks like a butterfly, or a Pleco that some squished against the glass

Swimzebras said:
Wait....perhaps it's not actually called a butterfly Pleco, I just looked it up and it isn't what I meant, uh oh

Swimzebras said:
Well it looks like a butterfly, or a Pleco that some squished against the glass

Swimzebras said:
Found it! Butterfly hillstream loach....beaufortia k.

I probably should've looked more carefully before posting a ton  sorry, anyway, does anybody know if this would work? Or is it just too many fish, and if so, what would work better?
Thanks in advance And sorry for my self-conversation but unfortunately I can't delete part of it

So does anyone know? Is this a dumb question? Any help would be great!

Glass cats reach a max size of 6" and need to be kept in groups of 6 so they are really not appropriate for tanks smaller than 55 gals. All catfish like to be in large groups so even smaller ones aren't a good choice for a 10 gal. You could maybe keep one hillstream loach in there but not two. They like water movement..I would put a bubble stone at both ends of the tank. I'm worried about my one getting enough to eat in a 29 gal so I wouldn't put 2 in a 10.

Even ghost cats/glass cats? Liveaquaria says 10 gallons....it says 4" also.......?

Hmm..usually they are pretty acurate but I think that's ridiculous. Even IF they only reached 4" like it says there a school of 6 would be 24" of fish..not appropriate for a 10 gal or even a 20. I mean imagine a school of 4" fish trying to do much of anything in a 10 gal. I wanted to put them in my 29 and decided it was too small for them.

Appropriate for a 10 gal..bettas, male or female guppies, dwarf gourami (if not too crowded), african dwarf frogs, dwarf shrimp, small cray, fiddler crabs. That's all I can think of at the moment.

I don't think they are ideal for a 10 gal but I think 1 is OK.

I have glass cats and they should be kept in at least a 20gallon tank with at least 5 members in the school.
Glass cats really won't reach 6", most max out around 4", no matter what tank size they're kept in.

There are plenty of awesome fish that can be kept in a 10 gallon~! If you want any alternate suggestions let me know. :>

I dont agree that a school of 6 4" catfish should be kept in a 20. Especially if it's a 20 high.

One hillstream loach..yes. A 10 gal doesn't provide enough algea to support two. Just add a nice bubble wall or a couple bubble stones. They really appreciate the increased oxygen and water movement.

Sorry but I disagree on the tetras, barbs, and cories. Generally a 10 gal does not provide enough room for schooling fish or fish that should be kept in groups.

Back
Top Bottom