10 gallon going to 29

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikey214

Aquarium Advice Freak
Not sure if this is where I post general questions about freshwater tanks , if not someone let me know ! But I currently have a 10 gallon tank and just purchased a 29 gallon tank I also purchased new gravel , a 50 gallon aqua clear hang on back filter and a thirty gallon water heater along with new decorations. I also want to buy a new bigger gravel vacuum , and start testing my own water , what test kit should I purchase ? How should I start the cycle of the new tank and add the fish from my ten gallon tank? Any information about all of this would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks

I moved it to the FW Getting Started forum.

The API FW Master kit is highly recommended and affordably priced. Check out our articles section and search the forum for information on cycling your tank. Good luck & welcome to AA!

HN1 said:
I moved it to the FW Getting Started forum.

The API FW Master kit is highly recommended and affordably priced. Check out our articles section and search the forum for information on cycling your tank. Good luck & welcome to AA!

Not sure if this is where I post general questions about freshwater tanks , if not someone let me know ! But I currently have a 10 gallon tank and just purchased a 29 gallon tank I also purchased new gravel , a 50 gallon aqua clear hang on back filter and a thirty gallon water heater along with new decorations. I also want to buy a new bigger gravel vacuum , and start testing my own water , what test kit should I purchase ? How should I start the cycle of the new tank and add the fish from my ten gallon tank? Any information about all of this would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks

To start the fishless cycle, you need 100% pure ammonia. Then, you dose the ammonia up to 4 ppm, and make sure it stays at around 4-5 ppm. Read this article: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Eco23 knows a TON when it comes to fishless cycling.

Should I have any other filters or equipment ?
You don't need any other equipment, unless you want to go planted. Then you need correct lighting.

George9 said:
To start the fishless cycle, you need 100% pure ammonia. Then, you dose the ammonia up to 4 ppm, and make sure it stays at around 4-5 ppm. Read this article: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Eco23 knows a TON when it comes to fishless cycling.

You don't need any other equipment, unless you want to go planted. Then you need correct lighting.

Thanks ! Hmm . . . What would be correct lighting ?

Are you upgrading from the 10 gal to the 29 gal with fish and all? If so, you can just move your current filter from the 10 gal to the 29 gal and run the new filter alongside the old one for a month. Alternatively you could take all of the filter media (pads, etc) from the 10 gal filter and put it into the new filter and if there's room left you could keep some of the new media there. Then you'd be able to move all of your fish over to the new tank right away. I would wait a couple of weeks before adding new fish though and test the water daily to make sure there aren't any spikes in ammonia, etc. but I don't foresee any large problems doing it that way.

Yeah upgrading , but I have the fish in the ten gallon now so I have to keep the ten gallon running with the fish in it while I fish less cycle the new tank , correct ?

Yeah upgrading , but I have the fish in the ten gallon now so I have to keep the ten gallon running with the fish in it while I fish less cycle the new tank , correct ?

No. You could do it that way, but if you can move the filter from the 10 gal over (either move its media to the new filter or run both the new and the old on the tank at the same time) you can move everything over right away. If your current 10 gal is established (cycled) the filter media (and other things in the tank, but mostly the media) contains your beneficial bacteria already which is what you'd be trying to grow with a fishless cycle. If you move the old filter over to the new tank you should be set. But just make sure you also run the new filter as the 10 gal filter won't be sufficient alone to filter a larger tank. To be safe I'd test the water daily for a week or so to make sure there aren't any spikes (and be ready to do water changes as needed) and don't add any new fish for a week or two until you know the tank is stable. I hope that helps. :D

librarygirl said:
No. You could do it that way, but if you can move the filter from the 10 gal over (either move its media to the new filter or run both the new and the old on the tank at the same time) you can move everything over right away. If your current 10 gal is established (cycled) the filter media (and other things in the tank, but mostly the media) contains your beneficial bacteria already which is what you'd be trying to grow with a fishless cycle. If you move the old filter over to the new tank you should be set. But just make sure you also run the new filter as the 10 gal filter won't be sufficient alone to filter a larger tank. To be safe I'd test the water daily for a week or so to make sure there aren't any spikes (and be ready to do water changes as needed) and don't add any new fish for a week or two until you know the tank is stable. I hope that helps. :D

I have to test the water before I take anything for that tank because recently I have been having like a dark green slim or film appear on the gravel and lower part of the glass and I don't want to transfer that to the new tank :thinking: what could it be ?

Maybe some form of algae most likely but not sure, I haven't experienced green slime yet. You could just move over the filter and leave the rest. You can swish the filter media in old tank water or dechlorinated tap water to wash off any gunk, just don't wash too thoroughly lol.

Back
Top Bottom