Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

10 Gallon (New at this)

Hello peoples, first let me start by saying thanks to these forums I've been able to get a lot of good advice and I've finally signed up to ask for more.

So, I had surprised my wife with a Yellow Guppy in a small 1 gallon bowl (mistake I know) so she wanted to instantly upgrade to a 10 gallon plus other fish so I let her take care of choosing the fish while I bought the tank and accesories. Well no thanks to the LFS and my lack of knowledge I didn't know about cycling let alone compatibility but don't worry the fish are still alive!
So here I have a brand new 10 gallon tank, Aqua Clear HOB filter, tetra whisper pump. The fish...2 small black moor Goldfish and 4 neon tetras.

So I decided to start doing research on taking care of the fish when I learned (too late) about cycling. I quickly ordered API Liquid master test kit and SeaChem kit.

I've been doing constant (4 times a week) 50 % Water changes. The fish are fine with the exception of the Yellow Guppy who wasnt doing so good in the new tank so I've had him isolated in a 2 gallon tank for now.

Well thats all the background information my question is for the cycling with Aqua Clear Filter, should I be having all the carbon and media stuff in the filter? Should I leave it alone? I plan to upgrade to a much larger tank for the sake of the black moors. Thank you.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #2

the filter will be fine unless you have to medicate then you should remove the carbon by cutting a whole in the filter pad and removing the stones. the guppys will do better in the 10 gallon bc neither are cycled but there is more room in a 10 gallon for waste. you should test 2 times a day and do a water changes when ammo gets above .25 and when nitrites get over .25 and when nitrates get above 2o. let me get the link for the fish in cycling.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #3

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!
Old 06-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #4

Thanks, I was just curious about that since I wasn't sure if I was supposed to keep it in there while cycling with fish.
Heres a pic of the fish home btw.

I've also added a Blue Backround since.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:48 PM   #5

that's awesome do you know what size tank you will upgrade to?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:33 PM   #6

Im planning to upgrade to a 30 gallon tank. My mistake was buying everything individually my first time instead of buying a kit so everything came out a little expensive. Before I upgrade I am looking for an affordable stand first since I don't have one for a 30 gal
Old 06-29-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Not sure about the compatibility between the black moors and neons. Black moors can handle a fairly wide range of temperatures, but normally the neons would need a little warmer water than the black moors would typically be kept in. The neons will also be much faster when it comes to feeding, which may limit how much food the moors actually get to eat.

It is quite a pretty looking tank though!
fouldsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:49 AM   #8

Right that was one thing I had a bad feeling about concerning the black moors and Neon Tetras when it comes to water temperature. As far as feeding goes they've been good, the black moors and their appetite have no problem eating and the tetras just eat and go along their business.

I did forget to mention that I've had them for abou 5 weeks now and thankfully everything seems to be going fine. I'm not sure if anyone can notice but there is one Live plant in the center of the tank which just recently started building up brown algae on it. Anyone know if that plant is compatible as an aquarium plant? No thanks to Petco I'm not sure if it is.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:41 AM   #9

you could just leave the neons in the 10 and then give the black moors their own 30 gallon
Old 06-30-2011, 02:00 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishDroid26 View Post
Right that was one thing I had a bad feeling about concerning the black moors and Neon Tetras when it comes to water temperature. As far as feeding goes they've been good, the black moors and their appetite have no problem eating and the tetras just eat and go along their business.

I did forget to mention that I've had them for abou 5 weeks now and thankfully everything seems to be going fine. I'm not sure if anyone can notice but there is one Live plant in the center of the tank which just recently started building up brown algae on it. Anyone know if that plant is compatible as an aquarium plant? No thanks to Petco I'm not sure if it is.
Remember to feed the black moors, if you can, sinking pellets. I learned from my LFS (local fish store) that if fancy goldfish like moors come up to the surface to eat, they gulp in air while they eat, and because they are oddly shaped, it messes up their intestiens or digestion or something and this will lead to swimming problems.

Tags
10 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com