10 Gallon (New at this)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishDroid26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello peoples, first let me start by saying thanks to these forums I've been able to get a lot of good advice and I've finally signed up to ask for more.

So, I had surprised my wife with a Yellow Guppy in a small 1 gallon bowl (mistake I know) so she wanted to instantly upgrade to a 10 gallon plus other fish so I let her take care of choosing the fish while I bought the tank and accesories. Well no thanks to the LFS and my lack of knowledge I didn't know about cycling let alone compatibility but don't worry the fish are still alive!
So here I have a brand new 10 gallon tank, Aqua Clear HOB filter, tetra whisper pump. The fish...2 small black moor Goldfish and 4 neon tetras.

So I decided to start doing research on taking care of the fish when I learned (too late) about cycling. I quickly ordered API Liquid master test kit and SeaChem kit.

I've been doing constant (4 times a week) 50 % Water changes. The fish are fine with the exception of the Yellow Guppy who wasnt doing so good in the new tank so I've had him isolated in a 2 gallon tank for now.

Well thats all the background information my question is for the cycling with Aqua Clear Filter, should I be having all the carbon and media stuff in the filter? Should I leave it alone? I plan to upgrade to a much larger tank for the sake of the black moors. Thank you.

the filter will be fine unless you have to medicate then you should remove the carbon by cutting a whole in the filter pad and removing the stones. the guppys will do better in the 10 gallon bc neither are cycled but there is more room in a 10 gallon for waste. you should test 2 times a day and do a water changes when ammo gets above .25 and when nitrites get over .25 and when nitrates get above 2o. let me get the link for the fish in cycling.

Thanks, I was just curious about that since I wasn't sure if I was supposed to keep it in there while cycling with fish.
Heres a pic of the fish home btw.

2e0quma.jpg

I've also added a Blue Backround since.

Im planning to upgrade to a 30 gallon tank. My mistake was buying everything individually my first time instead of buying a kit so everything came out a little expensive. Before I upgrade I am looking for an affordable stand first since I don't have one for a 30 gal

Not sure about the compatibility between the black moors and neons. Black moors can handle a fairly wide range of temperatures, but normally the neons would need a little warmer water than the black moors would typically be kept in. The neons will also be much faster when it comes to feeding, which may limit how much food the moors actually get to eat.

It is quite a pretty looking tank though!

Right that was one thing I had a bad feeling about concerning the black moors and Neon Tetras when it comes to water temperature. As far as feeding goes they've been good, the black moors and their appetite have no problem eating and the tetras just eat and go along their business.

I did forget to mention that I've had them for abou 5 weeks now and thankfully everything seems to be going fine. I'm not sure if anyone can notice but there is one Live plant in the center of the tank which just recently started building up brown algae on it. Anyone know if that plant is compatible as an aquarium plant? No thanks to Petco I'm not sure if it is.

Right that was one thing I had a bad feeling about concerning the black moors and Neon Tetras when it comes to water temperature. As far as feeding goes they've been good, the black moors and their appetite have no problem eating and the tetras just eat and go along their business.

I did forget to mention that I've had them for abou 5 weeks now and thankfully everything seems to be going fine. I'm not sure if anyone can notice but there is one Live plant in the center of the tank which just recently started building up brown algae on it. Anyone know if that plant is compatible as an aquarium plant? No thanks to Petco I'm not sure if it is.

Remember to feed the black moors, if you can, sinking pellets. I learned from my LFS (local fish store) that if fancy goldfish like moors come up to the surface to eat, they gulp in air while they eat, and because they are oddly shaped, it messes up their intestiens or digestion or something and this will lead to swimming problems.

Thanks for the Advice and suggestions. I was also wondering where most people bought their tank stands from. Didn't know they would be pricey and the ones that are affordable are not really durable. I have been looking on Clist and found a nice 30 gal stand but its a bit too far to pick it up. I'll have to keep waiting I guess. If anyone has any recommendations on where best to get a tank stand please let me know. Thanks again everyone.

How much did it cost you AllAboutFish?
I wouldn't mind giving it a try to build one, that sounds like good experience especially since I have necessary tools just not the parts. Thanks again for the reply.

Okay so good news, I saw a new posting on Clist from last night for a 30 gallon tank with stand and everything else included for $150. Good Deal right? I'll be able to pick it up Sunday evening.

My first question about that is, since my 10 gallon isn't cycled yet would you recommend me putting in some substrate or something into the 30 gallon to begin the FISHLESS CYCLE? or just start everything fresh and wait for the cycle to finish before adding fish?

I really want to get things started on the 30 gallon since I've heard it takes a month or so to complete. :thanks:

Also forgot to ask, how does one go about doing 50% water changes on a 30 gallon tank?
I've been using a 4 1/2 gallon bucket for my 10 gallon I can't imagine having more buckets lying around.

Last edited:
i dont think that is a good deal ive seen 55 gallons for that price with everythinig included.id start fresh and go get some seeded material from your lfs

FishDroid26 said:
Im planning to upgrade to a 30 gallon tank. My mistake was buying everything individually my first time instead of buying a kit so everything came out a little expensive. Before I upgrade I am looking for an affordable stand first since I don't have one for a 30 gal

You can actually save money buying seperately. And make sure you get a proper stand beforw upgrading bc I got a 30 gallon and put it on a desk and now I'm afraid the desk will collapse

bruinsbro1997 said:
Remember to feed the black moors, if you can, sinking pellets. I learned from my LFS (local fish store) that if fancy goldfish like moors come up to the surface to eat, they gulp in air while they eat, and because they are oddly shaped, it messes up their intestiens or digestion or something and this will lead to swimming problems.

This happened to my fish for a couple months. He was floating at the top of the tank upside down like he was dead :(

Right that was one thing I had a bad feeling about concerning the black moors and Neon Tetras when it comes to water temperature.

Neons actually do way better in cooler temps low to mid 70s, their natural habitat is Southern Brazil, Uraguay, Paraguay and I think Bolivia so the temps are lower dipping to the mid 60s in the winter months. Still by no means an ideal tankmate for Black moors and other Goldfish for previously stated reasons.

Really Tarpon? Because here in L.A. I've gone around to ma & pa fish stores and Petsmart + Petco and just a stand alone is asking $140+
the 30 gallon = $33 and yeah.

I know this is going a bit O.T. in my thread but I have a quick question since I saw a better deal on Clist.
I had never heard of a Shin Mao Nano-tank until i saw the ad today. Can I use that as a Freshwater Aquarium? The guy said something about having installed a protein skimmer and the lighting being decent as well.
I googled it and got Reef aquarium results.

Back
Top Bottom