10 gallon probably overstocked but. . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoilus68

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I wanted to run this by y'all anyway.

Rocco, my beautiful black sailfin molly (male), was moved to my 10 gallon tank on the 24th of December 2015 along with a male guppy. There were also about 25 guppy fry and 5 black molly fry in this tank, which had already been cycled with some real plants and a thin layer of gravel. My ammonia and nitrites were 0 ppm, pH was 7.8, and nitrates were 40 ppm with a constant 78 degrees F.

I also had a TOPFIN Power Filter 10 in addition to the Great Choice Internal Filter that came with the aquarium setup kit.

I found him floating about four o'clock.

I read that my nitrates could have been a little high, so I did a 25% water change.

This morning I found two more guppy fry floating so I moved everyone over to the 20 gallon tank while I cleaned the 10 gallon out.

I realize that 30 gallon minimum tanks are usually recommended for mollies, and that I had a ton of fry in there. What else could have contributed to Rocco and the two fries' deaths?

Still fairly new to all this as we just got our 10 gallon back on Labor Day of 2015.

Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm completely lost on the whole carbon filter decision. Should I be replacing the carbon filters in my tanks every couple of weeks?

Grreat Choice® Internal Aquarium Power Filter | Filters | PetSmart

http://petus.imageg.net/PETNA_36/pimg/pPETNA-5018060_main_t300x300.jpg

:thanks:

I would guess the nitrates. 40ppm is pretty high...

Carbon is not really necessary so no, you don't have to change it at all.

Yeah

I would guess the nitrates. 40ppm is pretty high...

Carbon is not really necessary so no, you don't have to change it at all.

I was thinking nitrates too. Thanks!

What sort of filters do the pros use? Canisters?

I'm not a pro (yet ;) ) but I use HOB and sponge filters mostly :lol: I like canisters for big tanks and big fish, but they're not really necessary for anything smaller than 30 gallons IMO.

The fish should have been able survive with the 40ppm nitrate, unless it was a sudden jump from a lot lower level.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

I thought so too

The fish should have been able survive with the 40ppm nitrate, unless it was a sudden jump from a lot lower level.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

What else could it have been though? I did take this male away from the only adult female black molly; could he have died of a broken heart? lol

About Carbon. I just leave my filter pads in till they clog up. I rinse in used tank water. I keep using them till they fall apart. I don't use carbon unless I need to remove meds from the water.

Aquaclear are the best HOB. You can customize the media you use.

No broken heart. If the tank water was a lot different in the 10g that may have caused it.

What about Ammonia ? Is it staying at Zero ????

Were those readings taken before you added him or after he died ?

What is the tank reading now ?

Are you testing with a liquid kit or strips ?

Sorry you lost your fish [emoji25]

Don't clean a tank out unless you must.

Was the 20g already cycled ?

For Sailfin Mollies, yes 30g or larger is best. The females can hit 5" and they are very active. And like to breed.

I hope you can keep the rest alive.

I have a topfin filter. It works. I don't like internal filters, because they take up room in my tank.

Sponge Filters are the pro choice for fry tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom