10 gallon starter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pkpat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! This is my first aquarium. I'm super excited.. Well a bit too excited. I began my tank with the help from a friend. So far this is what I have:

10 gallon tank
Artificial plants
10lb of substrate
Filter
Heater
Water purification drops
Fish flakes

We began normal with purifying water. Then, he brought foam from his filter that I used in my tank to jump start the cycling process. He also gave me 2 fish to help further things along. However, I became a bit impatient and got 6 neon tetras a day later because they are relatively cheap.... I am now worried my fish may die because of how fast I am pushing along the process. Do you guys have any recommendations? Would buying bacteria supplements help? I love my fish. Help please?

Pkpat said:
Hello! This is my first aquarium. I'm super excited.. Well a bit too excited. I began my tank with the help from a friend. So far this is what I have:

10 gallon tank
Artificial plants
10lb of substrate
Filter
Heater
Water purification drops
Fish flakes

We began normal with purifying water. Then, he brought foam from his filter that I used in my tank to jump start the cycling process. He also gave me 2 fish to help further things along. However, I became a bit impatient and got 6 neon tetras a day later because they are relatively cheap.... I am now worried my fish may die because of how fast I am pushing along the process. Do you guys have any recommendations? Would buying bacteria supplements help? I love my fish. Help please?

Hi and welcome to AA!
No need to buy bacteria in a bottle it is either the wrong bacteria or it is dead from temp fluctuations or lack of food. First thing you need to do is get a test kit. The most widely recommended is the API freshwater master test kit. The most accurate for the money. Daily water changes may be needed. Having seeded media (sponge, bio media, floss, etc ) from an established tank will greatly jump start your cycle. Test your water daily and every time your water is .25ppm of ammonia or nitrite, do a water change. Water changes will not stall/hinder your cycle. Allowing ammonia or nitrite to build up can harm your fish. I will add some links on fish in cycling for you to read.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

Any questions don't be afraid to ask! :)

Mumma.of.two said:
Hi and welcome to AA!
No need to buy bacteria in a bottle it is either the wrong bacteria or it is dead from temp fluctuations or lack of food. First thing you need to do is get a test kit. The most widely recommended is the API freshwater master test kit. The most accurate for the money. Daily water changes may be needed. Having seeded media (sponge, bio media, floss, etc ) from an established tank will greatly jump start your cycle. Test your water daily and every time your water is .25ppm of ammonia or nitrite, do a water change. Water changes will not stall/hinder your cycle. Allowing ammonia or nitrite to build up can harm your fish. I will add some links on fish in cycling for you to read.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/124/2/-I-just-learned-about-cycling-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

Any questions don't be afraid to ask! :)

Thanks a ton!! Soo my next addition to this tank is going to be some glofish. I love the color and my tank is going to be black light themed :))). When should I expect to put the fish in/what would be a recommendation for how many add to my tank. Thanks!!! Soo excited!

Pkpat said:
Thanks a ton!! Soo my next addition to this tank is going to be some glofish. I love the color and my tank is going to be black light themed :))). When should I expect to put the fish in/what would be a recommendation for how many add to my tank. Thanks!!! Soo excited!

What other fish do you have other than the neons? are you keeping then as well? Glofish are zebra danios. They need a larger swimming space than a ten can provide unfortunately. :( but we can help with stocking plans :)

I have 2 sword tails (male and female pair) that I might give back/away because they don't really fit the theme and seem pretty big compared to the neon tetras..

Also do you know of an easy way to seal a rock or decoration after painting it so that it is safe for the aquarium? I'm trying to add some black light effects to the tank without spending a fortune..

Pkpat said:
I have 2 sword tails (male and female pair) that I might give back/away because they don't really fit the theme and seem pretty big compared to the neon tetras..

Yeah good idea giving them away IMO. They are far too large for a 10g. Can I suggest doing a search on AA for 10g stocking threads? That will give you more if an idea what is suitable for your tank size.

Pkpat said:
Also do you know of an easy way to seal a rock or decoration after painting it so that it is safe for the aquarium? I'm trying to add some black light effects to the tank without spending a fortune..

Mmm, not sure. Post a question in the DIY section and you'll get a better answer. :)

Okay will do! Do you know of any species that would glow under a black light that I could put in my tank? Or have some cool glow effect?

You may want to research the effects of blacklight on fish due to the UV rays. I've read that long-term exposure can harm their vision and/or sense of direction. I've also read it can be fine depending on the UV output, so just be aware that it may or may not cause issues to your fish.

If you wanted to use the blacklights a couple of hours a day it should be OK but I highly suggest using the standard daylight aquarium bulb most of the time.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/are-black-lights-bad-for-fish-12720.html

Good advice from Mumma above too in regards to the fish you have and want; 10 gals does limit your options somewhat. So you have Neons and Sword tails now? I'd return or rehome the Swords, they are too large for your tank as Mumma said. Since the tank is still cycling I'd just leave the Neons in there for now and not add any more fish (remove the Swords ASAP if you can as they're going to add to your ammonia levels in the tank); Neons are active fish and enjoy more horizontal swimming space than a 10 gal can provide; same with the Glofish. Although they'll probably be OK in a 10 gal especially if you're thinking of getting a larger tank down the road. :D

A good liquid test kit is a must so if you can get one ASAP it would be great. Until then, I'd do a 50% water change every day using a good dechlorinator (Prime is best if you can get it). With just the Neons you're half-way stocked. Adding another school of Glofish would put you overstocked in addition to the Neons, so just something to consider.

Also you mentioned using "purifying" water; what do you mean exactly? What water are you using now? Tap? Well? RO/distilled? Spring? If you're using Reverse Osmosis (RO) water it's basically distilled water which has no nutrients so you'll need to add those back in using something like RO Rite or Seachem Replenish. Also testing your PH would be a good idea as well (the API Master kit comes with a PH test).

Welcome to AA!

Last edited:
Thanks for the awesome advice!! FYI I'm using a normal fluorescent light for the tank and switching to backlight just to show friends ext. :) to prepare the water I am using aquasafe plus conditioner and dechlorinator for my water. I am definitely going to plan to give back the sword tails back because the female became pregnant this morning :eek: ( huge belly almost 2x size and fish were already a pair) so I'm changing the water today 50% for safe measure. I will have to wait till tomorrow to purchase the testing kit because the stores are closed today :(. Thanks for the help and merry Christmas!

Back
Top Bottom