10 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sydney_Jolene

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone!

I just upgraded my betta to a 10 gallon. The tank is filtered, heated & planted. I'm curious about some possible tank mates for him! Also, can I dose ferts with a betta in the tank along with CO2. My boyfriend does dry ferts PPS Pro, so could I do the same?

Thanks!
Sydney

Actually if you do CO2 you are going to want to dose the dry ferts as well. Your plants will need more nutrients when using CO2. What type of lighting do you have?

As for Betta tank mates... that is a loaded question. Betta all have different personalities so mellow ones will often tolerate tank mates while aggressive ones won't. Cory Cats are actually the one fish that Betta's don't seem to mind, well at least most Bettas. Often Bettas won't tolerate other fish that are brightly colored or with flowly fins. So basically you have to decide if you want to risk trying to add other fish or not. Personally I'd try 3 cories and see how the Betta reacts.

Hey Rivercats, I'll make sure to buy a CO2 system before dosing any ferts, I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't effect my Betta in any way! Right now I have a T8 15 watt full spectrum. Do you recommend more? For the past month I've just had a nerite with my betta & he hasn't payed any mind to him. I am going to buy a few corys as you recommended to test out his personality. I'm hoping he's a bit more docile so I can consider other tank mates! You just never know though.

Thanks!

I tried red eye tetras with my beta five years ago, ended up giving em away to a friend with a 60 gallon and 8 other red eyes. Thy didn't get along. I recommend African dwarf frogs.

I just put my betta into a 10 gallon also. I put 3 peppered cories in with him (I wanted pygmy cories but I can't find them anywhere). When I first put the cories in, the betta was going after them a little. I put a mirror up to the tank to distract him whenever he was bothering them. After a day or so he left them alone and are getting along fine now.

You can dose a liquid fert like Seachems Flourish Comprehensive until you get your CO2 up and running. You can also dose liquid carbon (Excel) until you get the CO2 running as well to aid the plant growth. As for lighting.... see how your lights do before buying anything new. For a 10 gallon there are cheaper lighting options available but for now try what you have.

Back
Top Bottom