10 gallon stocking advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KhloeM

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey everyone! i'm taking a break from studying for my final exams to write this post ;) so i have an empty cycled 10 gallon freshwater tank, and i was wondering what i could put into it. i'll make lists of what i definitely don't want and what i've been considering below. thanks in advance to anyone who helps!! :)

fish that i DON'T want:
•dwarf gouramis
•rummy nose tetras
•guppies
•platys (i don't think they can go in a tank of that size anyways)
•neon tetras

fish i've been considering:
•two bettas (divided tank of course; i have a lot of experience with bettas and i looove them!)
•a betta sorority (i'd love love love to do this, but i'm soo nervous to try it because i won't know what to do if it doesn't work out!)
•dwarf puffers (would two males work in there? or two females?)
•cory catfish (which specific kind of cory would fit in my tank, and should i have other fish besides just corys?)
•a pair of balloon mollies (okay, if these fish can't fit in this tank i will NOT get them!! this is only an idea, but i do not know if they can go in this size tank, so please be nice if i'm mistaken ;) also, are balloon mollies unhealthy? i feel bad for them because they look as if they have trouble swimming, but they're so darn cute!)

those lists are just a few ideas. i understand there are many more options out there, so if you have any ideas, just tell them to me! i'll be glad to hear any of them! i also wouldn't mind just having a single fish in there, as long as the fish is active and colorful (and also not super tiny!) thanks again everyone!!

So to start with the things you've been considering:
  1. 2 bettas - Sure, as long as you have a way to block line of sight then this would work fine
  2. Sorority - It's too small of a tank for that. Minimum recommended is 30g for one.
  3. Dwarf puffers - I would only do one single puffer alone in the tank. They need to be stocked as one male per multiple females and it's considered acceptable to have puffer per 5 gallons. 2 is not a winning number.
  4. Any corys would work
  5. Definitely no to balloon mollies. Mollies need a 30g minimum and balloon fish are notoriously unhealthy abominations.

Is there any particular reason you don't want the fish on your no fly list?

If it were me, since you don't want neons I would suggest a small school of 6 harlequin rasbora and 6 cory cats.

From your list, any one of these options would work
a divided Betta tank
one puffer
Pygmy or habrosus corys
Other options could be chilli rasboras, celestial pearl danios, sparkling gourami, one of the smaller killifish species, endlers

Well are you leaning towards a species specific tank like dwarf puffers or a community?

If species only you could try:
ADF- these are really cool if kept by themselves. They are typically shy in community tanks. You could do 5-6 in this tank easy and would really be cool IMO.

Badis badis- very cool but also very shy fish even when kept alone.

Dwarf puffer mentioned above

Shrimp tank- really brings out their true nature when they don't have to hide from fish all day.

Live plants would make all these species much more comfortable and beautify the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Check out peacock gudgeons.I Keep a pair in a 10g with lots of cherry shrimp! They're an awesome fish. I like celestial pearl danios as well.

Check out peacock gudgeons.I Keep a pair in a 10g with lots of cherry shrimp! They're an awesome fish. I like celestial pearl danios as well.

Love my peacock gudgeons! Dwarf rainbows (furcatus, etc) are also great :flowers:

8 pygmy cories and a honey gourami would make for a very fun tank.

Clown killies are a very pretty and underrated nano fish too.

thank you so much to everyone answering!!!! i love the suggestions and i'm looking up all of those fish that i don't know of! :)

Back
Top Bottom