10 Gallon stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rocktrns

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I just got a 10 gallon tank
I have a filter heater set to 78F
I'm going to cycle my tank with fish Zebra Dianos,but after it's done cycling I need some ideas of what to put in it.
My idea
3-Dianos
5 Tetras
2 cory
2-Ghost shrimp
1 Betta fish-(Currently in a 1.5 gallon)

dont cycle with fish... you'll have to do daily water changes and it stresses the fish alot... not to mention generally takes a lot longer than fishless cycling. Anyways, as for the stocking list, you'll need more corys than that, 5 would be a good number, pygmy corys would be best since they stay real small. Im not sure how the danios would do with the beta though. What kind of tetras are you planning? I think you would be best to stick with 5 or 6 neon tetras and 5 or 6 pygmy corys.

I'd suggest modifying your list a bit, but I like your choices! Maybe 6 danios (more the merrier), 3 cories (6 if one of the pygmy species), betta, ghost shrimp (aka. betta snacks). Many tetra get relatively bulky, I'd skip them and add to the danios. Definitely do a fishless cycle if you can. It makes keeping fish a lot more fun.

I'm still going to do cycling with fish because I have no Idea of where to find amonia so already mde up my mind.

IME, Cycling with fish is alright, as long as you keep testing your water daily... I cycled my very first tank with Zebra Danios (5 in a 10gal) and didn't have to do too many PWC (About 50% every 4-5 days).
Keep your Ammonia & Nitrites under .25PPM and you should do fine.
Don't add the Cory Cats & Shrimps until a few months after the Tank has cycled. Look for "Bamboo Shrimps" as I have had them with Bettas before, and they were all fine.
Good Luck

+1 on the ghost shrimp being snacks.

I got my ammonia from Walmart. It's by the cleaning supplies.

I'd put in 4 corys instead of 2. They're happier, healthier, and a lot more fun in bigger groups.

Thank you,but will all my fish be good for my 10 gallon tank.

I am going to hijack this thread :)

I had a thread going on large tank ideas but i almost literally had a 10 gal tank thrown at me. A friend of mine just said, hey im gonna flush my fish unless you want them....i know right!! thats what i said!! So needless to say im aquiring a fully functional and fully established 10 gal tank. This being said im going to add the neons into my 38 gal and start cycling (fishless of course) the 10 gal tank for a betta.

I have no clue what else to put in there as ive never had a betta before. Do i need a smaller plecco, corys etc... what can i even put in there with a betta?

You can sometimes put corys in there, just depends on the betta's attitude. You could also get a divider and another betta, unless you wanted to go with female bettas, then you could get a few, like 5.

You can sometimes put corys in there, just depends on the betta's attitude. You could also get a divider and another betta, unless you wanted to go with female bettas, then you could get a few, like 5.

REALLY!?!? i thought there was no chance bettas could ever be with another. Interesting, how do you tell if theyre female? How many would be good for a 10 gal?

Female bettas can be kept together, just not the males. And if you do go with females, make sure there is an odd number, like 5 would be good.
You can tell them apart by their fins. The males have long flowing fins, and the females have short fins, and they are usually labeled at the pet store. But forewarning, sometimes they are labeled wrong lol.

Oh ok, ill take a look at that when the cycle is completed. I dont really want any other fish like tetras or anything like that cuz i have enough in my other tank but im more worried about the bottom feeders like corys or plecco. What are your more in depth thoughts on those? like the smaller corys or something?

Back
Top Bottom