10 gallon stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stingray68

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10 gallon planted with water wisteria, java fern lace, Anacharis, And 4 Aponogeton. I already have 2 fork-tail rainbows and 3 red cherry shrimp. I plan on getting 3 mor rainbows and 10 more RCS. What else could I keep in there? I would like some blue fish

You could probably get one powder blue Dwarf Gourami. It shouldn't bother your Rainbows. You could probably get a few of the smaller species of cory catfish as well like pandas or pigmys.

Pawtrekker said:
You could probably get one powder blue Dwarf Gourami. It shouldn't bother your Rainbows. You could probably get a few of the smaller species of cory catfish as well like pandas or pigmys.

I really like the look of DG but will they bother my shrimp.

And I will need an algae eater so I was thinking a Otto or two would work instead of the Cory's.

honestly I wouldn't get any more. The forktails should have more space than a 10 gallon as it is. 15-20 gallons min. Once you get your school up to the right amount, which would be about 6 for a proper school, your above stocked as it is.

Otos are suitable for a 10 gallon but are shoaling fish. You need more than 2, 5 at least. They are also difficult fish to keep and probably won't fair well in an over stocked tank. They stress easily as well.

I certainly would not add shrimp, otos, a DG and the rainbows to this tank. It's just too much in too small of a space. If you had a 20 gallon it would work but I would really suggest against adding all of this to a 10 gallon.

I have a old 20 gallon long in my attic should I move every thing in to that?

a 20 long would be awesome. Far better foot space too. Just remember that you will need to add your newer additions slowly to allow your cycle to adjust to the added bioload

tamtam said:
a 20 long would be awesome. Far better foot space too. Just remember that you will need to add your newer additions slowly to allow your cycle to adjust to the added bioload

Yes I know the ten has been set up for only a month I seeded it from my other 20 gal

Sorry I can't use the 20 in the attic so...

This is what I am thinking I will give the neons to my dad. switch the fork-tails to the 20 and get three more. Add to kuhli numbers. Get a pair of dwarf gourami,

Current stock

20 gal
5 neon tetras
2 kuhli louches
2 sparkling gourami

10 gal
2 female fork-tail rainbows
3 RCS

Future/end stock
20 gal
5-6 fork-tail rainbows
5 kuhli louches
2 sparkling gourami

10 gallon
2 dwarf gourami
15 RCS
-still need an algae eater of some sort

Sorry if it is confusing, it is late lol

I did this all with AqAdviser.

Pair of dwarf gourami won't work. The male will harass the female. You need 1m 2-4f. Plus most shops only sell males , so you may face that problem. .

And I will need an algae eater so I was thinking a Otto or two would work instead of the Cory's.[/QUOTE]

My DG doesn't bother my ghost shrimp at all. If the shrimp have placed to hide I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have Ottos too and I imagine they would work as an alge eater for you. You just have to make sure that your tank is established well before you put them in and acclimatize them slowly. They are quite sensitive.

Sorry I can't use the 20 in the attic so...

This is what I am thinking I will give the neons to my dad. switch the fork-tails to the 20 and get three more. Add to kuhli numbers. Get a pair of dwarf gourami,

Current stock

20 gal
5 neon tetras
2 kuhli louches
2 sparkling gourami

10 gal
2 female fork-tail rainbows
3 RCS

Future/end stock
20 gal
5-6 fork-tail rainbows
5 kuhli louches
2 sparkling gourami

10 gallon
2 dwarf gourami
15 RCS
-still need an algae eater of some sort

Sorry if it is confusing, it is late lol

I did this all with AqAdviser.

Better, but 5 khulis in a 20 long might be pushing it; a 20 high would be better; a 30 would be best. They're very active fish and a 20 long is pretty narrow. A group of small corys might be better. I'd also switch the dwarfs to the 20 and the sparkling to the 10. Not sure a pair of gouramis would work; if it's a male/female pair she might get harrassed. If it's two males they might fight. You could try it but be prepared to rehome if you see problems.

You don't "need" an algae eater. I don't have any and I don't have algae LOL If algae develops it's best to find the cause and fix it. Otos are cool fish but they can be very sensitive. At the very least I'd let the tank mature for at least a few months before adding the Otos.

Last edited:
librarygirl said:
Better, but 5 khulis in a 20 long might be pushing it; a 20 high would be better; a 30 would be best. They're very active fish and a 20 long is pretty narrow. A group of small corys might be better. I'd also switch the dwarfs to the 20 and the sparkling to the 10. Not sure a pair of gouramis would work; if it's a male/female pair she might get harrassed. If it's two males they might fight. You could try it but be prepared to rehome if you see problems.

You don't "need" an algae eater. I don't have any and I don't have algae LOL If algae develops it's best to find the cause and fix it. Otos are cool fish but they can be very sensitive. At the very least I'd let the tank mature for at least a few months before adding the Otos.

My current 20 gallon is a tall but the one in the attic is a long, the tall has been cycled and set up for a year

I already have the kuhlis. And as I was reading more about DG I will only keep one. I already tried the sparkling gourami but they tried to eat the shrimp so I put them back in my 20 gallon

I have already cut down the. Light time but I just wanted a cool little fish

Back
Top Bottom