10 gallon stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bzabramson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,
Recently I've been getting back into the whole aquarium hobby. Back when I was a lot younger, I had a 10 gallon with some random fish I bought from my local fish store, but I really didn't know what I was doing and it didn't do so well.
Now, I'm determined to try again this time with better results. I don't have much space, so I think I'm gonna go for a ten gallon. I was thinking about putting in some driftwood, some nice live plants, and maybe an air stone.
What I've been thinking to stock would be an A. Cacadoides (not sure of which variant yet), a powder blue gourami, and maybe some corydoras catfish.
Would this be too overstocked, and would the fish get along?
Thanks,
- a new addition to the aquarium hobby

B. The first step is learning how to cycle your tank. Be sure to check out that link on this site. Next buy an oversized HOB power filter like the Aqua Clear 30 and a dependable heater. As for stocking, research small tetras, Zebra fish and of course Cory cats. I'm not very knowledgeable about the Dwarf Gouramis to recommend. Good luck.

Thanks, I'll be sure to do that. The A. Cacadoides would be fine in there though , right?

I don't currently keep any of the Dwarf cichlids. When I did, they were kept in a much larger tank than your proposed 10 gallon tank. I think most members that do keep them use at least a 29 gal. Tank. With that type of a relatively sensitive fish housed in a 10 gallon, your tank maintenence will have to be rigorous. Be sure to check craigslist for used tanks. I see 29 gal. To 55 gal tanks for sale often at very low prices. They usually include filters, heaters and related equipment.

personally I have
6 dwarf ember tetra
1 Dwarf honey gourami
1 Amano shrimp
2 Pink/red ramshorn snails
Soon to get 6 Dwarf cory cats

Back
Top Bottom