10 Gallon Tank Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pangu

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey squad,

New user here. I currently own a 5g Fluval Spec tank, and am looking to upgrade to a 10g so that I can hold more fish and different species. I figured it would be easy to find some reviews of 10g tanks and a breakdown of the top options online, but it proved harder than I thought.

I'm looking for some advice on a good 10g setup, possibly as a kit but not required. My budget is around $200 max, and my main concerns are that the filter and lights are good quality, and that the tank is quiet. Noise is a crucial factor for me. I'd prefer to spend more money to get a good setup than save money and get something of less quality.

Does anyone have any recommendations or thoughts on this type of setup?

10 gallon tank at the $/gallon sale
Fluval aquaclear 20 or 30. Maybe a small Fluval canister if you need really quiet
Finnex stingray or planted+, either the clip on or small standard style

Filled with preferred substrate, plants (real or fake), and deco and you're good to go.

10 gallon tank at the $/gallon sale
Fluval aquaclear 20 or 30. Maybe a small Fluval canister if you need really quiet
Finnex stingray or planted+, either the clip on or small standard style

Filled with preferred substrate, plants (real or fake), and deco and you're good to go.

+1

Only thing I would say is if you don't do live plants get a t8 fluorescent hood. I got a 30" hood and light from Pet supplies plus for ~$40. If your going to go with plants the finnex would be a great option.
Be aware that you may have to go through a few aquaclear (AC) filters to find a quiet one. The first AC filter I bought was silent, the next a freight train, and the last one is like the house AC running. Don't get me wrong they are a good filter and can be silent, but it doesn't seem to be 100% of the time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate the info.

One follow up question: if I get a tank and sidecar filter separately, what are my options for a tank cover? I assume the filter would obstruct any standard rectangular cover.

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate the info.

One follow up question: if I get a tank and sidecar filter separately, what are my options for a tank cover? I assume the filter would obstruct any standard rectangular cover.

Use a glass hood. The back is open for any equipment and there is almost always a plastic piece you can cut that will provide slots for all the equipment.

Caleb

Use a glass hood. The back is open for any equipment and there is almost always a plastic piece you can cut that will provide slots for all the equipment.

Caleb

Glass looks good, but can be a PITA to keep clean cause of evap. Thats why I like the plastic hood or open top over glass

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use the Tetra 10i in tank over flow. Mine a silent and are more than enough for a 10gal. For lighting I'd at Kensfish.com, petsolutions.com or thatfishplace.com. If you call Ken's, Ken will call you back and he has been very good to work with.

Back
Top Bottom