10 gallon tank ? are those corner filters any good ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crushingmyself

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello i wanted to set up a 10 gallon tank and i want to go old school meaning i would like to put two corner filters one in each corner of my new 10 gallon tank now i will be using the carbon along with the filter and i have a bio filter i will add to it to hold the good bacteria i wanted to know what you gals and guys thought i will be using two air pumps to run both filters also i will be using a heater called theo , along with no gravel i want to put a tiget barb and perhaps two cory fish , i will be cleaning the algee by hand along with the battery powered gravel cleaner i will do this once or twice a week use the gravel cleaner to clean the waste from the bottom of the tank and i will do a 1 gallon water change every week how does this sound to you thank you for your time also the two corner filters i will be using are called clear free 1 , petsolutions and that pet place along with drs foster and smith sells this filter , please give me any feed back on theses type of filters thank you and also i am aware that i will need to get my hands wet to change the filter and media that is no problem for me thanks alot and happy 4th to all god bless

Welcome to AA. The first thing I'd recommend is using some form of sentence structure. Your questions appear to run into answers from the way this is posted.

A 10g tank isn't complicated but I'd recommend a decent substrate if you are going to have cories in the tank. Secondly, you speak of a bio-filter for holding the "good" bacteria. If this is so, why would you need two corner filters?

You could save some money by using a manual syphon, which is simply the tube attached to a gravel strainer. Battery operated gravel cleaners are designed to take some of your cash away from you. Why do that when nature can do it for you?

Good luck.

Welcome to AA!

As JC said, I would put some substrate in there if you want cories. They like to dig around. Smaller substrate is better and enough for a 10-gal won't run you too much.

I've never seen these corner filters, so I can't speak to that. But if you have a biofilter (does this mean a HOB filter), then you don't need corner filters. If you have enough filtration from the one filter, you will not need two other ones.

I also agree with JC about the syphon. One for a 10-gal will not run you very much, and once you figure out how to get the suction going, you'll be good to go.

Good luck!

One other thing I didn't see mentioned yet was that tiger barbs are schooling fish. Ideally you should have 6-8 of them. With less numbers they tend to nip, and if you only get one it will most likely attack your cory's.

I speak from experience. I had 6 tigers in a 20 gallon tank along with 3 cory's and 2 of them are no longer with us (one was horribly nipped at by the tigers, the other of unknown causes but probably was harassed as well).

I would think about a different fish.

A tiger barb by himself will not necessarily nip. I had one tiger barb with 4 guppies and 4 mini neon tetras in my wifes tank. He hid in the corner most of the time and only came out to eat. Never nipped any fins or anything.

I then purchased my own tank and purchased more barbs (total of 5) and they are in their own tank. They chase each other around, and are VERY active. I do have a bulldog/rubbernose pleco in as well with them and they leave him alone, same with the crayfish. Also had an otto without problems.

They are awesome fish to watch eat, throw a piece of krill in and they go nuts. Definetly an active fish.

I'm afraid that's the exception rather than the rule. Usually, TBs are less nippy in schools of 6-8 or more, because they tend to just interact with each other in that instance. However, it's neither here or there because 10 gallons is not an appropriate tank size for tiger barbs. I'd recommend a minimum of 20 gallons as these fish are extremely active. Please rethink your stock list and choose fish with an appropriate activity level.:) A betta with a few pygmy corys would be nice, or a dwarf gourami with the corys (no betta), or a small school of neons or harlequin rasboras, something like that.

Also, save yourself some money and just buy one hang-on filter. There's no reason to use the corner filters at all.

I would go with a simple ATI Hydrosponge filter. If you don't have substrate, a gravel cleaner is a waste of money, and a siphon hose alone will work better. I would count on changing at least 3 or 4 gallons weekly. There are lots of fish that will give you more show for your buck than what you are proposing, such as a school of white clouds, and the cories, neither of which need a heater. The tank will look better with some substrate, and perhaps some rocks /plants.

Back
Top Bottom