10 gallon tank Setup...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kukerdan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ive decided to set up a 10 gallon under my 90 gallon for small / fragile fish. Should i use water from my 90 gallon, since its already been cycled, and so i can put fish from one is the other with no shock, or should i start a new cycle? also what small filters do you recomend? plants?

For a 10-gal you could get African shelldwelling cichlids, especially appropriate if you have water on the hard, alkaline side, or you could get some dwarf puffer fish.

Menagerie keeps badis badis in a small tank, or you could try killies. You could have a tank of neons, or keep a betta and a few small tetras, or a dwarf gourami. It really depends on what you like. Stocking a 10-gal is tricky, but makes for a nice tank if you plan carefully.

A Penguin 125 would be appropriate, and if you have some gravel and filter media from your established tank that would help start the cycle. You can go ahead and put the filter for the 10gal on your 90 for a couple of weeks so it will be "seeded" when you put it on the 10, and jump start the cycle. Transferring some water is fine, especially if you are moving fish from the 90 into the 10, but is not really going to do much for your cycle like porous objects will.

Plants are wonderful and good for fish, so as long as you have at least 1.5 wpg you can grow crypts, java fern/moss, anubias, and a few other low-light plants.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom