10 gallon with cardinal tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

manny1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi guys this is my first aquarium and i just wanted to know some stocking ideas. i have a 10 gallon tank which has been cycling for about 2 and a half weeks. im doing a fishless cycle. ammonia and nitrites are going doing pretty fast and nitrates are 30ish with the api kit. when i first started cycling i didn't know much about live plants but know i want to get some as well as some live rock. my question is will this affect my cycle. and another question i have is can i have cardinal tetras in a 10 gallon. and what algae eaters can i get for that size tank cause i dont want shrimp. im allergic to them. thanks alot guys and sorry for asking so many questions

Hello and welcome to AA! :)

IMO cardinals are best for 20 gals and up. Besides shrimp, snails are the only algae eaters that work really well in a 10. I would go for two nerite snails. They are super effecient algae eaters that won't reproduce and overpopulate your tank, and they come in many attractive colors and patterns :)

manny1 said:
hi guys this is my first aquarium and i just wanted to know some stocking ideas. i have a 10 gallon tank which has been cycling for about 2 and a half weeks. im doing a fishless cycle. ammonia and nitrites are going doing pretty fast and nitrates are 30ish with the api kit. when i first started cycling i didn't know much about live plants but know i want to get some as well as some live rock. my question is will this affect my cycle. and another question i have is can i have cardinal tetras in a 10 gallon. and what algae eaters can i get for that size tank cause i dont want shrimp. im allergic to them. thanks alot guys and sorry for asking so many questions

Welcome to AA! Glad to hear you're taking responsibility and cycling your tank! IMO cardinals get too big for a ten, you could try neons instead they're similar looking. Live rock is for saltwater, if you put it in freshwater it will decay and rot away into nothin.

tanks so i guess ill get some neons. how many can i have in the 10 gallon

If they will be the only fish in there, you can do 10.

ill probably do 6 and the snail. just curious can i have a betta with them

That is a hit and miss situation. It's role reversal: the betta can be aggressive and chase the tetras, or the tetras can nip at the bettas fins. If you want to add the betta I'd heavily plant it just to be safe.

Yes, you can do a betta with 6 neons. Most bettas will do great with small tetras. If you want to pick up a betta and give it a try, just buy one from a lfs that will take returns on fish...if you have a Petco I know they do.

i know a very friendly lfs so theyll probably let me return it if it doesn't work out.

Fwiw, I would have no qualms with putting some cardinals in a 10 gal. E size difference and behavior difference between neons and cardinals is minimal. Neons are easier to care for however...

Back
Top Bottom