10 UK Gallon Tank - Stocking Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Albiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so i'm working on persuading my parents to let me have a 10 gallon tank for my birthday in June. i know, i know, its a while away yet, but i like to organise! plus its exciting to get stocking ideas for a new tank:D

right now, in my 3 gallon i have

4 x Mosquito Rasboras
~30 x Red Cherry Shrimp
1 x Bunch of Ludwigia Repens
5 x Corkscrew Vallisneria
Lighting is 9W (3wpg), but unsure of the K rating. 8-9 hours of light a day.

i would be moving them over to the 10 gal so any ideas on what i could get as well as those? plant ideas as well please:)

thanks, Dan:D

right now u r way over stocked!!!!!! All of your shrimp and fish will take over the 10g also. if u get rid of 15 of the shrimp u can get some guppies, mollies, swordtails, or tetras.

I'm sorry but mollies and swords get waaaaay to large for a 10 gal tank! Also 1 of those fish has a bio-load larger than 15 shrimp so I really disagree. I would make your 3 gal a shrimp tank, and do a nano community in a 10. Go up to like 7 boraras brigittae (mosquito rasbora), 7 microdevario nanus and 6 corydoras hasbrosus. I'm doing a similar community in a 14 gal :)

I'm sorry but mollies and swords get waaaaay to large for a 10 gal tank! Also 1 of those fish has a bio-load larger than 15 shrimp so I really disagree. I would make your 3 gal a shrimp tank, and do a nano community in a 10. Go up to like 7 boraras brigittae (mosquito rasbora), 7 microdevario nanus and 6 corydoras hasbrosus. I'm doing a similar community in a 14 gal :)

to my opinion thats over stocked.

Well I think 7 of those nano fish put together have a smaller bio-load than one full grown molly. So we'll have to agree to disagree. On the cories I might be wrong though. They only get to about .75" but still 4 would be a better bet probably.

Well I think 7 of those nano fish put together have a smaller bio-load than one full grown molly. So we'll have to agree to disagree. On the cories I might be wrong though. They only get to about .75" but still 4 would be a better bet probably.

i think max 6 nano fish and 6 of the cories

i dont mean to sound snooty but i really dont think that one .75" fish is going to overstock the tank.

and i'm getting a 15 gallon now anyway, so thanks for your suggestions guys! :D

Dan:D

I agree with you Dan.

My boraras and hasbrosus cories and other stuff should be delivered today or tomorrow...I'm so excited!!!

Mr.Albiman said:
i dont mean to sound snooty but i really dont think that one .75" fish is going to overstock the tank.

and i'm getting a 15 gallon now anyway, so thanks for your suggestions guys! :D

Dan:D

Except for you would need more then 1 of those fish more like 4 or 5

right now u r way over stocked!!!!!! All of your shrimp and fish will take over the 10g also. if u get rid of 15 of the shrimp u can get some guppies, mollies, swordtails, or tetras.

You don't need to get rid of any shrimp. You can have a LARGE colony in your 15 gallon. Besides, whether or not you have shrimp should not determine whether or not you get guppies or any other fish.

A 15 is an ideal size for most tetras, some guppies or platties.

Swordtails and mollies have a much bigger bioload, and should probably be in a bigger tank.

Your 3g can be a shrimp tank, no problem. As it is, with tiny briggatae, you are not overstocked.

siva said:
He is getting atleast that many of the fish he is stocking :)

That's good then, I only said it because he said that he doesn't think one .75" fish will overstock his aquarium.

Thanks for your comments everyone:)

and siva (what's your real name anyways? Haha) good luck with your fish!
Do you know at what age my b. Brigittae will colour up to that amazing red? Mine are currently a brown-grey colour.

Thanks, Dan:D

Can i say that tank is fine, but i agree with siva that if you get the 10gal then you can make it a nano tank. Also making the 3 gal a shrimp tank. They have very low bio loads and around 100 can easily be fitted in that tank ;)

Thanks for your comments everyone:)

and siva (what's your real name anyways? Haha) good luck with your fish!
Do you know at what age my b. Brigittae will colour up to that amazing red? Mine are currently a brown-grey colour.

Hey Dan, Erin here :cool:

My brigittae's color started to really pop after about 48 hours...having only seen them before in photos I'm not sure what to expect. A couple are larger than the rest and they do have a deeper red color, but none of them are quite as dark as they appear in photos.

Are you sure you have brigittae and not a different micro rasbora? Some are more brown...

Oh, hi then Erin :)

I have been thinking/worrying that they weren't brigittae, and labelled wrong in the lfs :|
maybe they are not colouring up because of there only being 3 of them? and the tank being so small?
they do have a bit of red on their heads. one is bigger than the other two with a darker red on its head.

are there any other micro rasbora that match this description?

and thankyou Jason, your opinion is very much appreciated:D

thanks, Dan:D

You know, I bet they are the one they call coffee bean rasbora. Both the borarars maculata and the boraras merah get called that. I think the merah are a more common find though.

Here's the merah:
boraras_merah.jpg

And here's the maculata:
Boraras_maculata.jpg

See they both look similar to the brigittae, but they aren't as red. The merah is the smallest of all three. How long are yours? Another way you can tell between the two above is the merah has more elongated black spots..the maculata's are rounder.

Thanks Erin but I don't think its either of them. They have a black horizontal stripe on either side. Do yours have that? :)

Back
Top Bottom