100 gallon, Need Advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GeeZeusWoks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so i just got myself a 100 gallon tank, sorry for sounding like a noob but i need to be informed..

1. What kind of filters should i get for it ?

2. How many pounds of sand/gravel will i need ?

3. What lights should i get? DIY led lights or straight up buy a new one any ideas for doing it yourself

Please, let me know. Thank you!

!. I would use a canister filter rated for a 150 gallon or 2 if necessary. I used 2 Fuval 403's on my 180.

2. Depends on what you are setting up for. IMO start with 50 lbs.

3. Depends on what you are setting up for. FW 2 t8 would work for viewing only. LED will cost more but will last longer and are cheaper to run.

More INFO on what you want to keep would keep would help. Fw fish only or fish with plants.

You'd need either 2 Fluval 406's or one Fluval FX5 although depending on the fish it could give to strong a current. Any of these Fluvals gives a large amount of space for various media.

!. I would use a canister filter rated for a 150 gallon or 2 if necessary. I used 2 Fuval 403's on my 180.

2. Depends on what you are setting up for. IMO start with 50 lbs.

3. Depends on what you are setting up for. FW 2 t8 would work for viewing only. LED will cost more but will last longer and are cheaper to run.

More INFO on what you want to keep would keep would help. Fw fish only or fish with plants.

1. I was thinking about using 2 Penguin Bio Wheel 350 w/o the canister ..

2. Setting up FW. upgraded from 30 gallon. I'm thinking about getting some BGK and Oscars.

3. i currently have one of those regular 2 long light bulb hood. T12's. 40-watt.
can i switch them out to T8 and still run ?

1. I was thinking about using 2 Penguin Bio Wheel 350 w/o the canister ..

2. Setting up FW. upgraded from 30 gallon. I'm thinking about getting some BGK and Oscars.

3. i currently have one of those regular 2 long light bulb hood. T12's. 40-watt.
can i switch them out to T8 and still run ?
T-8 bulbs won't work with ballast designed for t-12 bulbs. They will light, but flicker, and burn the ballast out in a short time.

Back
Top Bottom