100 gallon stocking recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tibbs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have a 100 gallon that has been running for a couple months now. Just looking for any ideas on what fish to keep. It's in a family room right now so I would like to active fish in it. Thanks

Nice. I have a 150 planted but I have a sump so I occasionally lose smaller fish into the overflows.

I have 12 pristella tetra
3 dward gourami
1 otto
10 neons
2 yoyo loaches
8 eastern australian rainbows
6 zebra loaches
2 clown pleco
14 phantom tetra
10 black skirt tetra

A rainbow tank would look very nice in a living room. Very beautiful and colorful. Also a nice neon school. Pristellas are very nice to look at and very hardy as well. Dwarf gourami could work too (not much interaction in a larger tank). Get a BN or a smaller pleco.

It fake plants?

It's fake plants right now but thinking about getting real plants. The lights I have are able to grow plants

Once you go planted it's so fun. I was hesitant at first. Really wanted plants and heard how much better they look. My tank looks great and it's not done still.

If you decide you want plants you may want to get some eco complete some type of planted substrate. What type of lights are they? You'll need to know so you can figure out what type of plants you can get.

If you decide to do plants you'll have to research and make sure your fish won't eat them. I didn't do that and ended up buying a school that ate plants and I lost a few nicer plants.

Not bad. With HO's you can grow just about anything. Once you get too much light though you may need to look into co2. I'm not sure how much you have to spend or are willing to.

What kind of fish are there are your lfs?

Just looked up the Australian rainbows you have. Great color and they shimmer nicely in the light

I've heard of it from amazon lol. But There are many varieties of Australian rainbows. I have Eastern. Bosemani are gorgeous but are more expensive. They are like $10 for one here. I'll buy some eventually.
You can get Eastern Australian rainbows at PetSmart for a lot cheaper. I got mine there. I got them at first on accident with some other fish and then realized what I had. They are like $3 or so for one and they are around $6 at the place I usually buy fish.

Just looked at the pet smart site and their fish are considerably cheaper than big als. I'll be going there from now on.

What are some plants you recommend?

I wouldn't go there all the time but I do on occasion when I know I want to buy a lot of a certain fish. I still like to go to the other place more because they have a bigger selection and 2 big plant tanks to buy from.

I'd say my favorite plant is my swords but they haven't taken off yet. They are root feeders and need higher lighting. They would be good for a background plant. Co2 doesn't do much for them.

Vals are lower light but I have a hard time bunching them up enough and keeping them in the substrate. They could be a background plant.

Water sprite lace/indian looks really nice when it grows. Lower light.

Java ferns are low light and no co2 needed.

Anubis are low light and no co2 needed. Can attach them to driftwood and rocks.

I'll post a picture of my tank.

Rainbows are a great choice for a tank that size. They remain active and there's so many colors you can have. I just gave all my rainbows to my girlfriend so I could have more room for my Severum

In the 2nd picture and 3rd picture the plants that are on the wood are anubis.

left side against glass...vals (skinnier) and jungle vals (thicker)

3rd picture..
against the right side..indian and lace water sprite
buttom of the upright part of the dw..java ferns
against back of the glass..bigger leaves...amazon sword
between the 2 swords is temple plant (another favorite)

Yeah I'll have to go check and see what plants the Lfs has because the live ones look way better

I'd definitely see what you can get your hands on at the stores. I know PetSmart usually has tanks of plants..not too much. They are hit or miss on the quality. I've been going for awhile and they had some decent java ferns last time for cheap. They are having a sale here in the US til the end of the month I know on tetras and some plants and you could get some nice deals.

You can always buy plants from growers on forums if you can't find anything at the stores. I'm having someone grow me flame moss, christmas moss, and peacock moss.

Back
Top Bottom