100gal needs cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Txredneck29

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well here it is my Odyssea Bow front glass aquarium D100. Got it for free but it's in some major need of cleaning has some serious calcium buildup any input on the best way to get this thing clean properly? Currently have a few paper towels soaked in distilled white vineger sitting on some of it but this stuff is think and really on there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1431050245290.jpg
    1431050245290.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 1431050274042.jpg
    1431050274042.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 61
  • 1431050302580.jpg
    1431050302580.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 57
I had a tank that was covered in coralline algae that came right off after soaking for a day in vinegar. And razors are pretty effective in scraping off the really hard to remove stuff.

Awesome right now I've got the paper towels soaked in the vinegar

Vinegar and a razor blade as mentioned. If that doesn't work, there's a product called Bar Keeper's Friend that will take it right off, just be sure to rinse it extremely well afterwards

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also, don't be worried about small water stains. Nearly all the ones I've battled in the past will disappear completely once the tank has water in it

The issue with doing the rinsing type thing is the whole top of the tank is lined with wood and had a lip inside the tank so if I was to rinse with water like that and then dump over to get water out it would get all in the wood

Are you concerned with the water ruining the wood? You could easily wipe it down with a towel afterwards.

Awesome right now I've got the paper towels soaked in the vinegar

Great! Just to be clear: the tank itself needs to be soaked in vinegar (or a vinegar water mix) so that it can wear away the gunk. I would just fill the tank with vinegar/water and let it sit for a bit, and hopefully it will then come right off.

Well it has a lip and I'm not sure of how good the condition of it all is and don't want to ruin the wood. And what would the ratio of vinegar to water be if I filled it up? I've just been using 2 little gallon bottles I have with paper towels and razor blade

The more vinegar the better. You're gonna have to rinse that too though :O

Lol well heck. I figured filler up soak drain with syphon scrape and scrub fill up syphon out again just keep rinsing eith water and using syphon and towels to get water out

I have done half vinegar/half water mix, and that has worked well. Full vinegar works best, but that's a lot of vinegar to fill such a large tank! You could try a lower concentration, and just let it soak longer.

Okay great sounds like a plan. Last night like I said I soaked some paper towels in the vineger and put them on the heavy spots just before bed I removed them and hit the spots with a blade and it was still rock hard but it was coming off with some work. Before soaked it did matter if I had a blade or not lol it wouldn't budge

Back
Top Bottom