104 days till move: Should I set up my new 55gal FW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wizingwizard

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. I just got a 55gal set up for a good price. I would like to set up a freshwater aquarium. I was eventually going to do a fancy aquascape once I knew I could manage fish and did my research on setting that up. The problem is I move in 104 days and don't want to set up the scape just to tear it down and move. I was thinking of setting up a simple one with gravel and some small decorations and cycle it. Then test some cheap fish in it. Then transfer fish to a 10gal, drain 55gal, and move it 104 days from now. Once moved set up my fancy aquascape, cycle, and move the fish back or upgrade to fancier fish. Do you think this is a good plan? What advice would you give in my situation. Thanks for your reply.

Seems like a lot of effort to me, and I bet you'd lose most of the beneficial bacteria during the move and have to cycle again. Your call, but I'd just wait until after the move.

Same, better take your time and do it right than have to mess everything up once you set it up.

Not worth the effort to do that now tbh, a move is a pain in general, you don't want to deal with that on top of everything else. Plus this will give you time to figure out exactly where the best spot will be in the new placs, I regretted where I set up my 75g originally

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks everyone. I've decided to wait. I also don't like my bare metal stand and now I can find one I like before May.

Be sure to show this fancy stand and scape when it's all set up[emoji6]

104days is torturous. If your move is not just a short drive away, it would be a hassle to break down and move a 4footer

I started up a 30x12x12 in a similar situation to yours. My move was a 3hr drive away. When it was go time, I took out about 2/3 of the water, put the filter media in the substrate, and packed the tank in the back of my volvo. I decided to leave the 3 apistos and bn pleco in the tank for the trip. They handled it fine, but moving tanks can be an arduous journey at times.

Back
Top Bottom